Have you ever been forced to...

...declare your religion or lack of one or else force them to play along with something they don't believe in lest their employers hold it against them, on the National Day of Prayer?

Do you think this day is discrimanitory?

Soniam301

Asked by Soniam301 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No and No
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• there should NOT be a "National Day of Prayer"!! That would assume everyone prays, but not everyone does!! One of the cornerstones this country was founded on was a separation of church and state.... this goes against that in a major way!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:29 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• morgain~but where you ever forced to declare a religion on this day by your employer? Was it even mentioned at your work place?

I am going to assume by your answer you believe it is discriminatory, correct?
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I agree with morgain.

Answer by older at 11:44 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• on NDP, no. But I had an employer who threatened to fire me, and suspended me for not participating in their daily prayer ritual. I simply stood by the wayside, and did not offer up a word to the dead dude in the sky- I did not speak, did not offer an opinion on the practice, made no accusatory remarks, etc. Simply respectfully excluded myself.

Happens a lot. Sad.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:45 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have never heard of a for-profit company having or sponsoring prayers.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I worked for the YMCA (Young Men CHRISTIAN Association) and they (my employers) just assumed that I was a Christian, never asked... Even tho their policy has God this, God that in it... and most of their organizations all use the word God for the most part, They never enforced a religious type of anything on their staff or their students/children in their care. (at least at the ones that I worked at)
    I don't feel that there should be a National Day of Prayer, and I also believe that it is wrong to push one religion on everyone in a place of business, unless this business IS that religion based...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Never, not any where, at any time!
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• No,but yes I do think it is wrong to do so. I agree with morgain
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• No, I will wear my crown of thorns proudly. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2010