Texting manners

Do you think it is rude if someone texts you "call me when you get a chance" and you miss it. Then they text you 30 mins later and say "did u not get my message to call me??" And this is one of your employees with information about work tomorrow! They don't bother to call your cell or home phone number. Anyone else think this is rude and inappropriate? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• If it's important they should call...
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on who it is texting you, like you say for work, I might also wonder why they didn't at least try to call.... now I will text my hubby that when he's at work & I just wanna chit chat, but that's different. sorry
    twindelight

Answer by twindelight at 12:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• If you think about it, all texting is just plain ridiculous. Why not just call a person, better yet... go visit them in person. Argh....
    Anonymous

• If it's your employee, you reprimand them. Tell them what's acceptable and what's not. Stuff like that should have been made clear when they were hired.
    Anonymous

• Have you ever been in a place that has a no cell phone sigh on the outside, or been in a class and/or meeting and your phone goes off. That's why people send the text...so they don't catch you at a bad time. They want to make it to where you call when you have time, instead of you answering and saying let me call you back when I'm done here.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Op I was at home and she knew I would be. She was at home too. Also she simply wanted to tell me she needed to see her sister before work and this ended up not interferring with her work schedule. And what do you say when you hire someone? I have never had an employee do this before. All my other employee just call. I guess I am not in the generation of texting and have never seen anyone do this before. The second text seemed rather rude. Am I right that the second text was rude?
    Anonymous

• I'll text my boyfriend sometimes, b/c I don't know where he is and what he's doing, and if he's with a customer or on the phone with his dispatcher, I don't want to interrupt him and make him look unprofessional. By texting, I get my message to him, but he can respond when it's convenient for him. I think the 1st text was fine, she could have been like me and trying to keep from interrupting you. The second text...kind of iffy. I might text my boyfriend that, but he would know I don't intend it rudely. I would never text an employer with that, or someone who doesn't know my personality enough to know that it's not meant to be rude. I think maybe you should give her the benefit of the doubt, since it's hard to interpret tone and intention with text/e-mail, and just tell her that in the future, she should just call you or text you once and you'll call her when you can, or however you want her to handle it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• If it's important then they should actually pick up the phone and call. I'm old enough to remember times before there were cell phones - no texting, no caller ID, if the phone rang you had to pick it up to find out who it was, and you could not text, you actually had to speak to a person!
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 1:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I do think txting can be inappropriate but in this case think they could have txted the message "I can't come in tomorrow." That way if you wanted to discuss it you could have called him/her back.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I would let it go this time (first time and all), but let her know that next time she needs to A)call and leave a message if you don't answer or B) text once and wait for you to call back. No second texts, especially one that informal. You may just need to emphasize the employer-employee relationship to her and how that is different from a friend relationship where she can text every thirty minutes until the other person calls back.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2010