Do you think kids save relationships from trivial break-ups?

I have found myself wondering lately if my husband and I would still be together today if it were not for our daughter. Do not misunderstand me; we are happy and in love. I was just thinking though, about how many relationships end over a trivial disagreement because both people were in a bad mood or something and it all blew out of proportion. So, I wonder if being a family, instead of just a couple, causes people to put more effort into discussing or simply putting aside stupid arguments. It does seem to me that, since Lucy was born (she's 16 months), we have been quicker to apologize and/or talk things out.

What do you think?

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 12:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes i do think ppl do stay together for the sake of the kids
    shanda0914

Answer by shanda0914 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i think that having children together make you much more likely to take a step back and evaluate the situation rather than just make snap decisions based only on emotion...so yes, i think that having children together makes it less likely that couples will break up over something trivial.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 12:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Not necessarily, I think that being married has helped me in my relationship to work harder at it and apologize instead of holding on to my pride and walking away . I think that children can make a relationship beautiful yet more difficult, their is another human life your responsible for besides yourself and just the daily stress and struggle to pay bills and support a family can cause more friction in a relationship. So...I don't believe children hold a relationship together. If you don't want to be in the relationship you won't be and if you truly want to make it work whether you are married or a couple...children or not you will. I think it's all about Love and respect that hold a relationship together not children. It's working for hubby and I and Sounds like you and your man truly love one another and your doing what it takes to make it work.

geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• "SHANDA0914":

I would not say that we "stay together for the sake of the kids". To me, that better describes my parents' relationship. They were not happy together, but they stayed together for years simply because they did not want to hurt us. I am refering more to couples who are happy and well-suited to eachother, but who may have let one bad day ruin a relationship had it not been for the thought of their family reminding them "wait a minute, this isn't us; let's just take a moment here".
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 12:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have a mostly wonderful husband and a good marriage, but honestly, if we didn't have the kids we probably would have split up in the past.
    Anonymous

• I couldn't say if it happens in most relationships but I do know that having my children has made me work harder at the relationship I have with my husband. I haven't stayed with my husband simply because we have kids. More often than not, we are very happy. We do go through rough patches due to finances or outside family influences but we are generally a happy couple and we know that if most of the time we can be happy then the few times that we're not are times that we can work through. Our kids just happen to be a reminder of why it's worth it.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• It shouldn't , but it does. Let's face it, it is much easier to pick up and go if you only have yourself to worry about.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2010