Is it weird to want to learn another language... Just because?

I want to buy that Rosetta Stone thing and learn another language.. For me and my husband. I was thinking either French or Spanish. I just think it'd be fun. lol.. but he's totally against it saying we'll never use it. But it'd be nice to talk to each other without EVERYONE knowing what we are saying... especially when we are having a conversation that could be taken as an argument, ya know? lol.. Does anyone else know another language and learn just because or is that a weird thing to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have limited spanish and really want to learn more.. You can never have too much knowledge!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Not weird at all, you will always have an advantage when you have more than one language, learning and education can never be described as weird.

Answer by older at 12:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I feel just like you. I was going to get one for my son and myself.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• If you learn Spanish I am sure that at least once or twice (most likely more than that) it will be useful during your life. I don't think it's a bad idea to learn a second language just to have one. You never know when you may need it.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Rosetta Stone is expensive so that's probably the main reason why he's against it. Why not sign up for a class?
    Anonymous

• I think it's admirable to want to learn another language. When you learn another language, you generally learn their culture as well.

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I want to too for my husband. I speak grammactically correct in Italian. The dialect is a whole other gendre. So my husband should get to know the real Italian Language. It makes so much easier when you have to figure out in spanish and when you hear other words in English that you can figure out becuse of their latin roots.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I need to learn Spanish in order to get anything done in the city I live in, half the people here speak spanish. I would like to learn a language like Japanese, Chinese (or is it Mandarin?) I am fascinated by other countries, their language, culture, dress and even the food!
    Anonymous

• Holy crap! Rosetta Stone is sooooooooooo expensive. My DH and I looked into it. It is like 900 dollars. Crazy! I don't think you are weird, I want to learn spanish, arabic and polish. Maybe even Mandrin Chinese.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Learning a second language is a great idea! I'm looking into learning American sign language. You never know when you might need to use it. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2010