potty time

so i am potty training and lately he will bring me his diaper and tell me pp in diaper and i say no you need to potty in the big boy potty, and he will scram and say no no no, diaper! is he not ready he is two and i thought he was doing pretty good.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• People often equate resistance to unreadiness, but I do not agree. Many, many people think that if a child expresses the desire to use a diaper or does anything short of voluntarily surrendering the diapers, he is not ready. I think once he learns that the diaper is not an option (if you make it that way), he will understand that the potty is a better option than his pants or the floor. I don't mean be harsh or unfeeling... you can be loving but firm. Asking a child to use the potty, even if it may not be his idea of fun (though of course you can do your best to make it that way) is not going to cause psychological trauma any more so than, say, asking him to start picking up his toys when you used to pick them up for him. It's like any new skill, it's a process.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2010