• In the Spotlight:

My 6 month old won't take naps!!!

My baby is 6 months old and she hasen't taken more than a 10 minuet nap all week. She wakes up after 10 mins. and won't go back to sleep. any suggestions? Last night she stayed up untill 10 pm with only have 2 10 min naps. and when she did go to sleep she only slept 2 hrs at night. What is going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some babies will only sleep when being held. My oldest would only sleep in my arms after falling asleep nursing. I couldn't lay him down. Sometimes he would fall asleep in his car seat in the afternoon. That would be so great because I could pull the car right next to the kitchen door and leave both the kitchen door and the car door open and do things in the kitchen and leave him sleep in the car. Of course he would only sleep in bed with me. Once he moved out of my bed when he was a toddler he had no sleep problems. He sleeps like a rock.

My grandbaby has always needed to be held for naps also. He is 18 mo and I still hold him for naps or he falls asleep in his car seat.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My son went through that phase around 5-6 months too. He's 8 months old now and usually only takes 30 min naps...an hour if I'm lucky. I never did figure out why he was doing that...I assumed it was teething because when he turned 7 months old, 3 teeth popped through all within like a week of eachother! They have these teething tablets called Hylands, that are just dissolvable and are supposed to relieve the symptoms of teething so baby isn't so restless and unable to sleep. They are all natural, and have no drugs in them, so you could give those a try and see if they help at all. He could also be reaching a milestone and his little mind is going a mile a minute so he can't sleep. My son started sitting up by himself around that time too, so it could be that as well.
    Anonymous

• Might be teething. Is she drooling a lot? If she is, then some baby tylenol will relieve the pain so that she can rest. My son wasn't fussy when teething (doesn't express his pain very much---high pain tolerance) but wanted to be held more and had trouble sleeping.

If not that, if she congested at all? Allergies, etc? It's hard for them to lay down if they are congested & needs a pillow under the mattress at one end to prop it up.

If not that, she needs time to be held and rocked so that she can wind down with you, then off to sleep.

Hope something works. I know how much we depend on THEIR naps to take a break ourselves. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Please do not rock or hold him to sleep. I have worked as an infant room teacher in a daycare for 12 years and that is the worst thing you could do. Make sure you lay him down awake. Put on some lullaby music in the background to help drown out noise. It sucks to say it, but you have to just let him cry. Even if after 10 mins he wakes up, just let him cry. 10 mins is not sufficient for a 6 month old.
    Anonymous

• That is hard when your little one won't nap. My son did the same around that age too. I was lucky if I could use the washroom and eat before the 10 minutes were up.
    My solution was to hold him while he slept. I believe that babies who sleep well during the day sleep better at night. Otherwise they are just overtired and it is a vicious cycle. I would suggest that you hold him and nap with him and sleep with him at night (following all safety precautions of course). I remember I didn't want our son in our bed but truly it allowed us all to get some much needed sleep. I would try a routine of some sort too, special music, dim room, special blanket, etc. I started doing that with our son (now 11 mos) and he naps regularly and for 1 - 3 hours and in his own room in his crib.
    I think the answer above is terrible. No baby should be left to cry. It is their only way of communicating with you. Your baby is precious, trust your heart
    erinjb

Answer by erinjb at 2:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I just wanted to add that you could try a wrap, sling or other soft baby carrier if you really need to get stuff done while your baby naps. If my son is overtired and we are out, I pop him in the wrap and he falls asleep within a minute or two. They just want to be close.
    Good luck to you both!
    erinjb

Answer by erinjb at 2:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• "Please do not rock or hold him to sleep." I disagree. Why is that the worst thing you can do??? Do what you need to to help your baby sleep! My LO always slept in a swing when she was younger and transitioned fine to a crib. Babies go through periods when they sleep better or worse, it is not because of a "habit" that was formed.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2010