Congested 5 month old - milk making it WORSE!

DS has a cold and is very congested, and I don't know what to do because each time he eats he gets more stuffed up! I know with me, when I am sick, I cannot drink milk because it creates more mucas - is it doing the same to him? How do I fix it? The rest of his cold has been gone for days, but the congestion comes back or gets worse with each feeding!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why is your 5 month old drinking milk?!?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I assume she means breastmilk, think about it.

I don't think that breastmilk will make him more congested. Just make sure that you get some steam to him by going in the bathroom and closing the door with some hot water running.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I am assuming you aren't giving your baby milk. Everyone knows not to do that. Of course breastmilk would not make a baby congested. It is a normal body fluid like blood and wouldn't cause that kind of problem.

Milk causing congestion is supposed to be a myth. A baby can have problems taking a bottle can be a problem because the nose is stuffed up and the baby can't breathe and it can hurt the ears. However, if your baby is formula fed your baby has to have formula. You can try suctioning the nose before a feeding and keeping the baby in a more upright position. You might try a sippy cup. It's early for a sippy cup but it may work.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• [OP] Not ACTUAL milk - he drinks Enfamil Gentlease formula. I still call it milk because it technically is still a TYPE of milk. Anyway, I do suction his nose before and after each feeding, I just feel like there is a connection since he gets so bad while eating and then for a little while after it. I've tried sippy cups since he uses one the majority of the time during the day as it is, but there is no difference between bottle and sippy cup. I guess I will just wait it out.
    Anonymous

• Breastmilk? My child was congested also as a baby. There are a number of things you can do.
    1 - Elevate your babys head most times and a little bit while he sleeps. Stick a book or two inder the crib mattress but be safe.
    2 - Sqirt some nose solution in his nose and try to get the mucous out with a bulb. He is not going to like this though. I cant remember the name of the solution. I think its called ocean saline or salt saline or something.
    3 - You can call your pediatrician and ask to speak to a nurse. Ask her for over the phone advice.
    4 - Run a hot shower to get the bathroom steamy so he can breath in some steam and try to get some relief.
    Good luck mama. If he is haveing wet diapers and is not dehydrated you can relax a little bit. If you need to see a dr then thats a good idea too.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My son uses the same formula and had the same problem. As others said, use saline drops and then suction the mucous out. Make your shower very hot and sit in the steam with your baby for about 20 mins. Also, use a humidifier- it really works! You can also give your baby some water or juice just so he doesn't get dehydrated, or pedialyte. Of course, sooner or later you will have to give him the formula but if there isn't any mucous blocking anything, then he should be able to eat better. Also, have him sleep in his car seat so he is elevated. Its something that you will just have to wait out, the more mucous you can get out the better tho. If he starts coughing really bad or you can get rid of the mucous, or he isn't eating and is dehydrated- call his doctor and they will be able to give him something to help with his symptoms. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Try Johnsons vapor bath if he is stuffed up!
    Anonymous