Do you think the victims are blamed more than the attackers?

Why are rape victims blamed more than the attackers? Just studying up on victims of rape, human trafficking, and young girls(Girls who are way younger than 16) who are pimped for money and I find that they are always the ones being punished for some pimp's crime or the rape victims are blamed by their families. What is wrong with people? How is this the victim's fault?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do wonder that...having been a victim (now considering myself a survivor). Endless BS about what kind of clothing they wore, how many previous sexual partners, was she drinking or doing drugs....NONE of which has a darned thing to do with the fact that someone took something from the victim without her consent. I think that they are so busy trying to 'mitigate' the perpetrator's actions (i.e., she must have wanted it, look how short the skirt she was wearing was) that they forget that they are sickos who should be held accountable for their actions. Period. So yes, in short, I definitely do wonder where our priorities are when this kinda stuff comes up. BTW....it is not the victims fault...never. The complete and total blame should fall upon the shoulders of the person(s) that harm another, whether sexually or otherwise.
    Anonymous

• Same anon here.....frankly I do not care if a woman were walking naked down the street in the middle of the night....it still gives no one the right to harm her in any way. If anything, I would think that it would give them an obligation to help her.
    Anonymous

• The problem with young prostitutes is that the pimps dress them up to make them look older, so some of the men who pay to have sex with them don't even realize they're having sex with a minor so how can they help them? Well, they're stupid horney men anyway they probably wouldn't help her. Pigs. But if I were driving down the street and saw a girl on the corner and I knew for sure that she was under age, I would pay for her and then get her cleaned up or something. Call her parents, or the police and turn the asshole in that did that to her. Unfortunately, though, these guys manipulate these girls into thinking that's all they have to live for. It's really sad.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Honestly, I think this is a holdover from a time long ago. This is why some religions require their women to be covered, why they segregate the men & women at times. Not saying it is right, just that that is why they do it. I would say they need to teach their men some self-control rather than just blame the woman.
    Anonymous

• Well I think, instead of controlling the women and what they wear, the men should just learn to control themselves.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• In think in the case of the prostitutes, they're just easier to bust. They're the ones who are out on the street, the pimps are lounging around somewhere spending the money they just made from exploiting another woman. This is why prostitution is not "a victimless crime" as so many like to say. It's about women being exploited, it's not about women empowering themselves with their sexuality. I hate that argument and it's totally wrong and disgusting. I think it's based off of the Hollywood depiction of it and not off of reality.

As for victims of rape, I don't know why they get blamed. Sometimes it's the knee jerk reaction of family and others to say "well what the heck were you doing in that neighborhood at that hour anyway?" So often, knee jerk reactions are so wrong. Even if you go back and change your words, those first words are the ones that the victim holds with her.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• It's still a mans world, nothing has changed about that. Even though many women are in prominant places, they got there by bowing to men. Not all, but most. Obversely, we as women have to suffer the consequences of women who falsely accuse. I wish I had answers but it begins by putting all the facts on the table.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2010