MRC calls out the networks on Tea Party coverage

Well, it is in black & white now. The network stations have given little to no coverage of Tea Party events over the past 12 months. The Media Research Center has done an exhaustive review of all coverage by the network stations, and they don't come out very well. Until the election in MA, there were only 19 stories on the 3 networks! Now, compare this to coverage and promotion of The Nation of Islam's "Million Man March" in 1995. It was featured in 21 evening news stories on just the night of the march - more than the Tea Party received in all of 2009. Or the anti-gun "Million Mom March" in 2000, which had 41 broadcast network reports heralding its message with a dozen positive pre-march interviews w/ organizers and participants. This is not unbiased journalism at all. What do you think about it?

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/04/no_surprise_mrc_calls_out_medi.html

There is a link there to the report.

29again

Asked by 29again at 1:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's hard to get the message out when the media is mostly leftist.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Well, I'm glad there is finally documentation, but honestly I don't think they will change. They may start doing more coverage, but only on the negative aspects should any arrive.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Newsflash- drama and negative sells. Kumbaya, not so much. The networks are a business, not a charity.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• This think tank also needs to do an analysis of the overall changes in news from 1995 to 2010...in 15 years, most of the networks have cut things back dramatically. NOTHING is covered the same as it was in 1995. We've started relying more on iReports and cell phone video than anything else. Youtube has become a HUGE resource. There are fewer feet on the ground now than there were in 1995.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• The networks are a business, not a charity.
    ------
    EXACTLY!!!! They are there to report the news, not ignore it, not to ridicule it. They did NOT do their job, one station DID, and you all make fun of THAT station. I'm sorry, I don't get how it can be OK for the news stations to not report the news.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• There are dozens and dozens of protests happening around the country all the time. Not all of them get covered. How many reports do you see about Code Pink? (They're loonies I know, but still they protest and no one cares). Not every protest gets on the air. I know I've heard plenty about the Tea Parties on the news, did you want a major media blitz at every gathering? It's really not that news worthy.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Yes, I've seen coverage of Code Pink.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• (whoops, hit the wrong key!)

I don't expect that every single protest will be covered. However, that does not mean that a movement that spans the whole nation should be ignored, either. Look at the numbers. 19 stories from April to Jan. 10 months, 3 stations. Not what I would call good reporting, especially when those reports were derisive.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• "It's really not that news worthy. " HUH?????

You call a protest being held in EVERY major American city in EVERY state on the same day about the same thing not news worthy? You have got to be kidding me. Of course not every protest is going to be covered. Maybe just some local coverage in the paper, but a protest of this scale deserves much more respect.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I've seen coverage of Code Pink, but not everything they do is covered.

I think the Tea Party thing has gotten plenty of coverage. Maybe they haven't gotten full on stories, but it's mentioned all the time.

Part if it is their own fault. They took a long time to get a clear and concise message. At first there was so much going on that it was hard to tell what they were standing for. Now they have streamlined their message to the tax issue. What they need to do is get better organized and manage the press better. The press shows up to a story when a story is present. Americans in America exercising their constitutional rights is not news. If they want press they need to invite the press and give them something to show.

Unfortunately there is a lot of distaste for the media mixed in the Tea Partiers. They need to embrace the press and make it work for them.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2010