Do it yourself swimming lessons. Who here just taught their own kids to swim?

Have you tried teaching your kids to swim or did they take swimming lessons? How did you make it fun and interesting?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I taught mine. We did fun stuff - and I did it with them. Blowing bubbles in the water; 1, 2, 3, go under! I would always start out with them in my arms in very shallow water, so they felt safe and then just get lower and lower. From birth I was pouring water over their heads though, so they've always been used to water in their faces. Jumping in to the pool and catching them. Having them hold on to the side and then swim to me, with me moving further and further away. It's a process.

Answer by missanc at 3:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My SO taught my oldest to swim. He told him "Jump in and I'll catch you!" So he did, now he swims better then I do. He never took any lessons. Sorry I don't have anything more interesting then that!
    Anonymous

• My daughter is not quite old enough to swim, but I plan to teach her myself. My father taught me how to swim, after all. He would put his hands palm up just underneath the surface of the water, and I would lay across them on my stomach. I would practice paddling and kicking this way, and after about a week he would slowly drop his hands from under me. Before I knew it, I was swimming off, and didn't even notice that I wasn't on his hands!
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 4:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I grew up around the lake then when I got older joined the swim team. Start with blowing bubbles and doing kicks on the wall my 2 yr old has a swim suit with a floaty in it but is only allowed to wear it when were at the lake and if were at the pool she knows that she is to be with mom and dad and that's that, she is allowed to wear a life jacket after shes been in the pool for a bit then it comes off before we get out because she needs to realize that she's not going to "just float" the next time she jumps in. We swim to mom and dad and kick with a board and lay on our back and do the dead mans float. But I can't stress enough how important it is to let them play with security but realize that a life jacket isn't always going to be there and I make her float on her own learning how to flip herself, with a little tough love she now swims very well and can frog kick like no other!
    kenzsmama

Answer by kenzsmama at 10:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• wow these are great advices! thanks!!!
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 3:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2010