how do you make swimming fun for kids? My daughter is scared of water.

any ideas? I plan to bring them to the beach and teach them swimming.

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• if she is scared, I would wait a little longer to force her into it. Just let her have fun on the beach and maybe she will see that there isn't much to be scared of.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• How old is she?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• well my 2 oldest were both affraid of water for a while....lilly didnt start really enjoying the water till she was 5. olivia got it last summer at 2 1/2. swimming lessons help them because the more you know about something the less reason you have to fear it. here they offer swimming lessons from 6months and up......good luck.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• hi, my daughter is turning 8. she had previous swimming lessons and actually did good. But whenever we go swimming she does not want to put her head under the water. I think she took after me when I was a kid.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My daughter was afraid of the water for a long time...even baths. The all of a sudde one day she LOVED taking baths...and would go in a swimming pool even if the water was FREEZING. She'd be shaking and turning blue, and i'd still have to fight to get her out lol. She's 2 1/2 and loves water now. But if your child is under 2, or even under 3...I think it's the age...many children are afraid of water that young. there's really nothing you can do about it. My son, we introduced to water at a young age...he was born in the summer so we had him in water...and he loves it now.
    Anonymous

• We live near the beach so I guess I'll bring them more often. Just need to get wetsuits. It gets chilly out there! I want to make it fun for them. My other child loves swimming and just dives and floats and kicks but the other one is scared. She gets very nervous with heights or water. I'm also like that but I have a heart condition so I don't know if it's got something to do with it. I do hope she overcomes this though like I did.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• it depends how old she is.. If under 3 buy her a water safety vest until she gets confidence.. toys.. I say if she is still scare just leave her alone.. let her play in the sand..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 3:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• my neice was scared too, one day we took her to the pool my husband and i stayed about waist deep and she just put in her feet, we started showing her tricks like flips etc, she would tell us what to do, eventually *after several hours* she started showing us tricks, like getting in knee deep, we praised her when she got waist in we promised to get her a book, she loved it each time she does something new we get her a little 2 dollar book, it is great, but continue erven just getting up to her knees tell her how prous you are
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 3:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My daughter hated the feeling of the water in her ears when she went swimming - thats the part that scared her, because you kinda feel like you are in a tunnel ......so we (she) practiced laying down in the bathtub, where there was nothing to be afraid of until the feeling didn't scare her anymore.
    If your daughter is happier on the beach, then dont force her.....My daughter wanted to swim, and wanted to find a way to get over her fear, so this is what we worked out together. I think if you force her, it will be worse.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't force her if she is scared of water. I would just give it some time. My oldest went through a phase where she was afraid of water. Bath time was a nightmare. By the next summer, she loved the water. Now we have a hard time getting her out of the water and she loves her swimming lessons. Forcing her is more likely to make her more scared of the water.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2010