Plane trip wth a 23 mo old

My son will be 2 in may but is still eligible for sitting on my lap in the plane, which we are doing becasue we DO NOT have money to buy another seat, (we are headed to a funeral) anyway, I am also 5 mo pregnant, It is just me and my son going, any tips on how to keep him calm and preoccupied on my lap? How about tips for me so I don't get too uncomfy. Any tips would be great

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Travel

• Snacks, snacks, snacks as another poster pointed out. I fly with my little ones quite frequently and they are always sure to please. I find that bringing some snacks that they are not used to is a special treat and a good incentive for behaving. The movie player can be great but also frustrating depending on how much room you have and how long the battery actually lasts but if it can entertain them for two hours then thats a good things. I have been in your shoes pregnant with a little one on your lap. If you are very pregnant than you are not going to be too comfy but it comes with the territory. The seats are just not that big to begin with. I find the hardest thing with traveling alone with kids is figuring out how to get to the bathroom. The more kids the less room in the bathroom but you should be okay. Make sure that you bring at least one change of clothes because they always always always need them.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• UGH!!! ~ How long is the flight?
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• well the longest we will be in the air at a time is six hours....I KNOW! - OP
    Anonymous

• Bring a lot of snacks. Special treats like M&Ms and cheerios. We brought Bend-A-Roos on our last flight and it was a big hit. Can you bring a little DVD player? Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I would pack him his own little backpack, just his size, with some snacks and a few small toys that he picks out....But, I would also have a stack of NEW toys (for the dollar store) and pull one out every hour or so, just to give him something new to entertain him......Hopefully, you will get an empty seat next to you :)
    Also, bring his own sippy cup, so that you dont need to use those awful disposable cups that spill everywhere!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• ooohhh... the DVD player is a great idea! My kid are older now, but they put movies on their ipods....Do you have one? He can watch movies through it and they dont cost a lot to download. Just make sure to get some sturdy headphones, not the ear bud ones for him!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2010