Do you think that religion was created by men as a way of trying to have more control and power?

I have issues with religion bc as far as you can see they have always oppressed women. How can you believe in something that doesn't respect half of the population? Wether it be muslim, christianity...whatever it is all the same. In the bible today I read about Eve and it said that woman would be in the dirt forever. I just think wow...so you believe that our loving Lord would treat women as though they belong in the dirt over a dumb apple but he is all forgiving? Hmm..it just seems like the stories are all made up by men to gain power. I believe in God, I just think the bible was written by men and it can't be proven that it is actually God's word. Just my opinion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• actually that has always been my personal view on religions.....considering how many have come and gone throughout human history.
    Anonymous

• YES!!!!
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 2:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Hey it makes sense to me, I beleive in God, but not the Bible.

Answer by older at 2:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I agree with a lot of what you are saying, however i do not believe in god at all
    aidensmyangel

Answer by aidensmyangel at 2:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• The ancients used "god" or "gods" to explain things that they didn't understand. (Natural disasters, disease, etc.) This gave great comfort to them, and the threat of making the "gods" angry was used to dissuade bad behavior. As the human race evolved, the same concepts were used as the earliest laws; a way to enact rules and social morays into society. Religion has always been used to dictate behavior - sometimes in a good way, sometimes not so much.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• no, I am religious and I control my religion not the other way around. I know many like this.
    gbaby01

Answer by gbaby01 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Yes.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• OP: You should all read The Alphabet vs The Goddess. It talks about how man used the alphabet to get rid of Goddesses. They used to be the supreme until the written word began by men and they pushed things in a direction that mad Gods more powerful than Goddesses. I think that men have always tried to have more power over women and even each other. I think that there is no way of proving that the bible is God's word. It was written by men. How can we not prove that they did not sway it to suit a continuation of their power like they did with Gods to Goddesses. Just a thought.

Anonymous

• No, I don't believe that at all. Jesus was the first great liberator of women, and true Christianity is more about giving up control than it is about gaining power. The Bible was written by men, of course, but they were men empowered by the Holy Spirit. God used a lot of women in the Bible and when you read the book closely, you will discover that women really have a lot of power. The truth is that most do not know they have it nor how to use it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• yup
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2010