Blood Pressure Medication during Pregnancy, Best one?

Hi, I developed High Blood Pressure right after my son was born. I am on Avalide now and I feel great (not tired from it). I am considering having another child but am concerned with the blood pressure issue. I can't take avalide during pregnancy. Has anyone had high blood pressure prior to pregnancy and what medication did you take during the pregnancy for it? Did it make you Very Tired??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Health

• I also developed HBP after my first, I went on to have two more.

With my second pregnancy, my doctor had me go off my meds to see what happened. It was weird, for whatever reason my pressure stayed perfect, increasing only slightly at the end. Not enough to need meds. Everything was normal, although I went for quite a few non stress tests just to make sure and she wasn't a mover so I always had an ultrasound with it.

With my third, I was off meds for the first half then went on Aldomet for the second half. Continued on it after birth, but it didn't work well. It did while pregnant but not after and by BP skyrocketed. We quickly got it under control and it's been good with low dose meds since.

I would say talk to your doc before you get pregnant to see what he says. Plus if your taking meds and get pregnant, you will still be taking them while pregnant because you won't know your pregnant, if that makes sense.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 3:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Methlydopa is the only thing "safe" to take while pregnant - ask your Dr.
    Anonymous

• I started taking that after my son was born and it made me Sooooo Sleepy that it was hard to keep my head up off the pillow. Yuk!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Hi Heather, Thanks for the info I really appreciate it! I will have to do In-vitro for the next child as I did for the first so I will change the medication in advance. Thanks again!
    Anonymous

• No problem!
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 9:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have taken Nifidepine for my BP for 4 years. I did take it throughout my last pregnancy and it worked well...until I developed Pre-E and had to deliver. I have continued to take it for the past almost 2 years since Karli was born. I did however take myself off of all my meds a couple of months ago as I made a HUGE lifestyle change and have lost 31 lbs. My doctor was amazed at how much my BP dropped after changing my habits, working out 6 days a week and dropping so much weight.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2010