Do you still send out thank you cards?

I do not know anyone but myself that does this. I have given people wedding presents, baby gifts, birthday presents, sent flowers went people are ill... Nothing.
I am not really upset that I don't get any, since that isn't the point of giving a gift anyway. BUT it is a nice way to show people that their gift or contribution is not taken for granted. And I am related to certain people who will be the first to point out they haven't recieved a thank you card (even if it's only been two days!) but have never written one in their lives.
Seems to be a fading tradition...

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 3:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When I grew up I was never told to send a thank-you card.. I guess my parents never sent them either? And I know we never got them..
    Thank You notes did not come into my life until I had my babyshower... I sent out TY notes then, for dd 1st bday I sent out TY notes but for 2nd & 3rd ive decided to hold off on the thank you notes until she can be apart of it & I will then start to teach her the importance of them. .
    I think sending off a TY note feels just as good as giving. Last year I got 3 boxes of clothes from someone thats never met me (through MIL) I was so thankful. I felt very odd about sending a note, but I felt I needed too... and am glad I did, or that would still be on my heart to this day i think..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Yes, and DS does, too. We don't always do a paper card - for family we've done thank you videos set to music before, but the point is the same, that he learns it's expected of him.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i try to. it shows that you do appretiate the gift. for the baby shower i sent thank you cards to people who didnt even bring anything and told them thanks for coming and i enjoyed having them there. i sent them after she was born and sent pics of baby with them instead of birth announcments. call it lazy but i was pretty busy!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• ABSOLUTELY! I send them and so do my children. There is nothing that irritates me more than sending someone a wedding, graduation, or baby gift and not receiving a thank you. I especially hate it when I send something directly from a store on-line. You honestly never know if the person received it or not.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Absolutely! Being raised in a Southern Texas family, it was expected of me to send out my own thank you notes after any event! I don't recieve as many as I send, but thats okay. I loved sending card and "just because" notes anyhow. After our daughters 1st birthday we sat down and wrote out thank you notes for everyone who came, our DD did her part by placing her handprint on the card. ;) We thought it was a cute idea, and wanted to show that she was apart of them too. I do agree that it is a fading tradition, and thats really sad!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 4:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• We do for every occasion. Just like you we never get them in return. I think its funny how people like my grandparents complain when my cousins don't send thank you notes yet I have given them presents for every single occasion for 26 years and never once have they sent ME a thank you note lol. For my sons birthday presents (we'll even send a thank you for attending if someone doesn't bring a gift) we send out our Valentine's that we have made with our pictures and we add a thank you to the card. His birthday is just before Valentine's Day or we probably wouldn't even do Valentine's cards but my son came up with this idea and thinks its fun and our friends and family love them so why not.
    Anonymous

• I send thank yous most of the time, sometimes I mean to send one but I forget and then by the time I remember I feel like it's been too long and is too late. I get a thank you note for gifts I give about half of the time.
    Anonymous

• Yes I do and I tell my children and grandchildren to do it as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I always do! I also don't receive very many and yes like you said not that I expect them, but it's just strange to me.
    Anonymous

• Wow, I don't even need to say anything ...you hit the nail right on the head with this one. I agree with you 100%!!!!
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 4:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2010