If you do not have a swingset and your neighbor does, would you just go into their fenced in yard and use it?

I am the neighbor with a swingset. I don't mind letting their kids play, but their parents are not always there. All I ask is that they ask and that their parents supervise. It's causing a huge controversy. Am I being unreasonable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• What?? No - it is NOT okay to go into someones yard and use their things without permission, you're right to be angry!
    Anonymous

• Insurance would probably require you to have supervision for minor guests so I think it's fair to ask for that. You are liable for their safety.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Hell no! If that child gets hurt on your property, they can sue you. I'd be pissed if kids came onto my property and played on my kid's toys without asking! I'd put a lock on the gate!
    Anonymous

• Nope. I probably wouldn't even let them play on my swingset! Not because I'm a mean person, but because I wouldn't want to get sued if somebody got hurt on my property. If it was a big issue I would just say eff it and take her down! You are not being unreasonable whatsoever, you are being responsible.
    Anonymous

• No you're not. What if one of their kids gets hurt? You as the owner would be liable, even if they didn't tell you they were there or if they weren't watching their kids. Besides that, it's just polite to tell someone when you come onto their property to do something.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• No and I had kids that would try that and they were no more than 3. I told them many times to go home and stay off. One day i had enough and told the little boy to tell his mom I was calling the police. They never came back. I hated doing that, but, I didn't want them to fall on my stuff and me get in trouble. They or their older brother stole equipment off the set at one time too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I don't think you are unreasonable at all
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• OP here. I am probably one of the nicest people you can meet and don't have a mean bone in my body. Now, the other neighbor is turning other neighbors against me and I was starting to think maybe I was going overboard. Thank you for making me feel better!
    Anonymous

• No way! I wouldn't let my kids go on the neighbors playset unless they were invited over, I would think thats very rude,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• We have a pool and the neighbor girl thinks its ok to come over at anytime, she's 9 and her parents seem totally fine with it but WE dont' like it.. I mean, why should we have to watch someone else's child? what if she gets hurt. Her parents just tell us 'tell her to go home when you get sick of her" how about teaching MANNER's and not letting her come over so we don't have to be the ones to say no while she stands at our fence watching us play?
    Anonymous