Does anyone have ideas on how to help baby from getting so crabby when in crowds?

My daughter is 7 months old today. It seems that when we are around a big crowd she gets very fussy. It doesn't matter if it's at church, family gatherings, people she knows, people she doesn't know.

bskelly

Asked by bskelly at 4:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son used to get like that too. It WAS over stimulated him... some babies just are like that
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• she could be sound/noise sensitive.

my oldest was (and still is) like that. crowds and loud places overwhelm her.

we limit it as much as we can, and if we do have to go out I give her something for her to focus on.

oh, she's 9 now and still has a hard time in crowds.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I'd avoid the crowds. I know that's hard but you can always find a quiet place at social gatherings and run errands during less popular times. Some kids get overstimulated in large crowds just like adults. It won't get better with repeat exposure. Better to try and adjust yourself and give her time to move past this phase. Most of the little ones in my playgroup are about 2 and all are doing much better with the small playdates right now. We try to limit time in large playdates and always leave when she's clearly had enough. I have seen a few people pass their social anxieties onto their kids- if you're also the type to be stressed in those settings, pay close attention to how you act in them around your baby.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 4:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Just don't take her in crowds? lol j/k..I know sometimes thats just unavoidable.
    Maybe try having something that will distract her. SOme babies don't like the loud noise and strangers can be frightening to them.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• It is hard to avoid the crowds sometimes. She doesn't mind stores and things like that. It's when there are a lot of people "in her space" I guess. LOL! I am a very outgoing person and crowds do not bother me. My 16 year old son is the same. The more the marrier! My husband is shy, so maybe this is something she got from him. I suppose you all are right, maybe I just need to avoid crowds until she gets a little older, or maybe take her off on her own to take a breather. I dunno. Never had to deal with this before. Something new for me.
    bskelly

Answer by bskelly at 5:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2010