How much do you pay in non-income taxes?

Have you ever stopped to add it all up? Sales tax, gas tax, property tax, taxes imposed on electric/gas/phone bills, sin tax on things like alcohol or cigarettes, highway tolls, some places like Chicago have an entertainment tax, others have service taxes on things like hairdressers and exterminators. Then there's transfer taxes, permits and license fees (license plates, driver's license, professional licenses like teachers and nurses), plus all the corporate taxes padded into the prices of things you buy. Anyone care to guess how much of your money goes to taxes each year? And then feel free to add that tiny little federal income tax onto that number.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i answered but then deleted my answer. it's late in the day and i'm entirely too snarky. good luck with your attempt to get people all like.... mad, and stuff.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I actually had that number at one point, because many of those taxes are deductible. I know my annual property taxes are $3600, vehicle taxes this year are about $600, sales tax is 8 1/2 percent, communications taxes have been around $10/mo total...

Sales tax is the biggest chunk for us but I've never calculated that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised by any number between 35-65%.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Ka-ray-zee, isn't it? That is exactly why I would like to have a fair or flat tax. Makes so much more sense, and all those ridiculous embedded taxes would go away.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Makes so much more sense, and all those ridiculous embedded taxes would go away.

I still don't think they would. The state and local ones are separate. A universal flat tax would either overcharge everyone and leave half the states with a surplus, or undercharge everyone and leave half the states in the hole. The taxes needed to fund every college in CA vs every college in WY are very different - why should people in WY have to pay to fund CA state schools that follow laws only CA residents can vote on?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I'm with 29 on the flat or fair tax. People don't see how the Government is taking a few hundred here, and few thousand there. Your Gross income is no where close to the net income when you look at all those additional taxes. We shoudln't have to deduct this and that. It should be simple and straght foward.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I also agree with a flat tax or the fair tax. Everyone pay the same percentage. I also see what NP is saying, but I don't think that would apply as each state would do what the feel is best. There was an article on comcast news this morning rating states (best and worst) on how they tax the citizens. Of the best states, none of them had income tax. It was all either flat tax or built into sales and services. Of course, Alaska was the best. They don't tax the citizens at all. Actually, every citizen gets aprox. $3500 a year from the state just for living there.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Yea, no, that's ok, because, schools iz jus dumb, my house will never catch on fire, I can make my kids walk 20 miles each day (who needs roads?), my granny doesn't need her social security - nor do I, oh, and she doesn't need Medicare either. I think that low income people on Medicaid should just do without - why should I care if their kids die or if they can't afford their medical bills?
    I don't think I should have to pay to have my town's water maintained - we'll just draw from the crick where our septic drains.
    My kids and I can certainly do without parks - I mean - they're SO overrated. Merry-go-round. pssshh.
    Oh, and the STREET SWEEPERS. Can those guys just get OUT of my way?
    And, I don't live in a big city, so, ah, mass transit? It can certainly go.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Fawn, what are you going on about? NP just asked if you knew how much you pay in taxes, ALL taxes.

From what I've read and estimated, we pay close to 40% of our income to taxes if you add all the taxes and fees: big, small, federal, state, county, etc.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• There are 2 things certain in life - death and taxes. Americans are famous for bitching about having to pay taxes, and we aren't even closed to being the most taxed country in the world. The income tax was merely a way to pay for the Civil War. Every politician loves being able to impose taxes. Every one. You don't like it? Talk to your elected officials.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Hmmm not much in Wyoming. No sales tax on groceries or Internet. Cell phone tax was less than 10%, gas wasn't too pricy either. But cross the border to ultra conservative Utah and they had higher sales tax, communications tax, gas tax, they just raised the tax on smokes too. I'm in ND now so I'm not sure. But I'd gladly pay 40% of our income in taxes for UHC and paid college educations.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2010