In witch craft?

I have three questions.
1 when using incense say a spell calls for Patchouli. Can you use Patchouli sandal or any other substitute?
2 Oils if it calls for anointing the candles with cinnamon oil. How do you anoint the candle? and Can you make your own? or use a substitute oil?
3 Caldron's. I always thought they were folk lore. Do you have to use a caldron? or will a pot work? Do you bless the caldron or any other ritual?
I've been researching and am not fully understanding every thing or if substitutes can be made for any thing. Thank you for any help you have to answer.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are some practicioners who say that one should use the exact ingredients but most of us will use substitutes. As for incense I use Nag Champa for just about everything. It is a good all purpose incense.
    When I annoint a candle I put the oil in my palms and role the candle while focusing the intent needed. If you inscribe symbols on the candle do so before annointing it with oil otherwise it is slippery LOL.
    I inherited my great aunts old cast iron dutch oven and thats what I use as my cauldron. You can go look at flea markets or salvation army and probably find something to work with. Once you use it for magickal purposes do not cook food in it because some materials will leave a residue that does not need to be ingested.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i dont think substitutes should be used because it can cause adverse affects.im not sure how to annoint a candle, but you could make your own for sure and if it will be used for spells you should have a clear mind when doing so. as for a couldron i would use a pot that has not been used for cooking, you dont want mixed energy.
    Anonymous

• if you believe that you will have adverse effects for substituting then the spell wont work. It all depends on what you believe in your heart. I tend to agree with pnw on this one though. most of us earth centered people don't have a lot of money to go out and buy every ingredient and we have to make do. That is a part of what the craft is, being crafty.
    Anonymous

• I think that pnwmom said it best. I personally DO have a cauldron that I bought at a new age shop a couple of hours from here. It's my favorite place in the world so far lol. Anyway, I just really wanted an actual cauldron to work with, but before that I was using something else. Can't remember what now, though. I rarely use specific incenses, unless I grind up an herb and use a charcoal block. And another thing about oils, some believe that if you wish to banish something with your candle spell, push the oil from the end of the candle away from you, but to draw something to you, pull your hand down the candle towards yourself when applying the oil. I rarely do that, though. BTW, I have a group for new Pagans on here and you're more than welcome to PM me anytime with any questions.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• pnwmom said it best, I have used subs. for certain incenses and also have and still do make my own oils ...
    using a plan base essential oil (clear) ...
    I also own a Cauldron it was a b-day gift from a fellow Pagan sister, but prior to that I have used a thick glass bowl ... you can also find a cast iron type pot to use also... I love thrift store hopping you find a lot of treasures there...

And as always feel free to PM me if you like... I will be happy to answer what I can or direct you to someone if I can not.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Incense, candle color, oil scent and any other thing like that can ALWAYS be subed. The important part is the energy that YOU put in, not the little stuff like that. Everything you use in a spell is simply a tool to help YOU focus your energy. Because green (for example) is associated with money, you would use a green candle in a money spell, but you could also use gold, or silver or white... As long as YOU see it as your need sees fit.

As for the cauldron, yes I have one. Most are small, just a few inches deep and are used for burning incense, mixing herbs or other things. You do not NEED one! If you want to use a pot, use a pot!

There are no hard and fast rules about what you MUST have or do when it comes to witchcraft. Everything can be altered, and should be altered to fit YOU and YOUR needs...

PM me with questions!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• None of it is needed for any spell. None of it. It's all props, just props, mental aids only. You can mix and match to your hearts content. It's all about symbology in the first place. Each item is associated with some kind of symbolic meaning so these props are nothing more than placeholders for meaning. IF you want to swap something out, go ahead but just be aware of the symbolic meaning.

1- You can substitute. Besides I really hate Patchouli. It makes me sneeze, so that wouldn't work for me.
    2-Rub if from center to outer tip. Can substitute.
    3-All tools can be blessed. All tools can be substituted.

OP, you are more than welcome to PM me with questions.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have to substitue burning sage because it smells bad to me. I use sage oil in a spray bottle. If I have to smudge I use sweet grass as a substitute for sage. To me it smells better.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• you can make any spell you want work and create it any way you want. It's what comes from the heart that matters. The use of certains smells and colors (candles and incense) is because when you look at certain colors or smell certain smells, they focus you right in on what you are trying to focus on. Focusing tooo much on how accurate you are on someone elses's spells sometimes causes you to loose focus... which is why I use to write my own when I use to practice.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• 1 when using incense say a spell calls for Patchouli. Can you use Patchouli sandal or any other substitute? If there are appropriate substitutes, the spell will usually list them.  But follow your instincts. Frankincense is a good all-purpose.

2 Oils if it calls for anointing the candles with cinnamon oil. How do you anoint the candle? Tapers from the center out.  Pillar candles, top to bottom.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2010