When/why did you stop believing?

This is a nonjudgmental question. I am not asking this to cause any arguements between Christians and athiests. I just wanted to hear your stories as to why you became an atheist, agnostic, etc.. if you once were a Christian. (Honestly not trying to start an arguement or anything...just wondering)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just never understood how someone could live life by whats in a book with NO proof of who wrote it.For all we know it could have been some mental men thinking insane thoughts lol...

I HAVE never in my life believed in god EVER.My grandma asked me all the time to pray and I told her I will not pray.I was 5...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I'm not atheist or agnostic, I'm Pagan now. I was raised Christian and I tried to force myself to believe and be the ideal Christian, etc. But,it just never fit well with me. Some of my beliefs were contradictory to Christian beliefs, and some aspects of my own life were as well. I spent hours at a time praying and calling out to the Christian God, with no results. I went through a brief phase of atheism/agnosticism and ended up where I felt right, as a Pagan. I have studied many religions and this just suits me. I think that everyone has to figure out what's right for them, whether it's Christianity, Atheism, Paganism, etc. To thine own self be true.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I started questioning things by age 9. I figured that the Bible didn't make sense by the time I hit about 12 years old and I've stayed agnostic since.
    Anonymous

• because the " believers" that I have known ( the majority though not all ) have been the most dishonest cruel and heartless people I have ever met I chose to believe in human kindness respect and decency

I am not trying to start and arguement either just answering a question asked by op
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I grew up Christian my mom always dragging us to church every Sunday morning, evening and Wednesdays. I stopped believing after she lost her battle with cancer when I was 13. She loved and believed in God so much, and she died. She wanted nothing more than to be healed and to have a wonderful life with my sister and I.

He healed her in his own way because she isn't suffering any longer, but he also took away our beloved mother.
    Teeny83

Answer by Teeny83 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I was never a "christian" per se, but i did believe in god. My story is similar to teeny's, only it was my nana and she had alzheimers, then dementia. she was a devout catholic who was faithful to her husband, worked as a nurse and helped others, and went to church at least once a week. She lived 7 years with her memory and and eventually her mind fading away. By the end she would just sit in one spot, not speaking, not doing anything, nothing behind her eyes. She starved herself to death.
    At the end, Hospice helped us bring her to our house to die. She died in a coma, with her 4 children at her side and myself standing at the end of her bed. After she took her last breath, I turned around and the first thing I saw was a painting my mother had hung up of Jesus hugging someone in heaven and crying, with god's outline in the clouds behind them. I looked at another wall and saw the lord's prayer. I got angry.

con't
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• con't

I didn't go right from there to deciding there isn't a god... i still thought there was one, and I hated him. my nana have him his due her whole life, as long as she could anyway, and he didnt even end her suffering (and ours) in a timely fashion. Meanwhile there are rapists who die in their sleep knowing who they and there loved ones are. If her sickness and death was an example of god's love, i didn't want anything to do with it.
    From there I went to Wicca, which felt more normal to me but still, no deity ever spoke to me, no matter what I did, said, or tried. One morning (last year) I had an epiphany when I woke up, and since have been secure in my knowledge that there are no supernatural parent figures out there for us to kneel to. Christianity in particular makes no sense to me at all, but I don't believe in Buddha or Odin or Isis, either. We're on our own.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I am not an Atheist, but Pagan. I grew up practicing the Lutheran faith even raising my dd's the same as traditions dictate us to do, but as you will hear, Christianity no matter how hard I tried, learned, studied it did not fit, it wasn't truth to me... to me the bible is a history book of sorts that men wrote using parts of different cultures surrounding them at the time... it also (for me) is a degrading book on women, and to many hypocrisy (sp).... nothing in the Bible sat well with me nor does it now to this day.
    I still believe in the divine, but it is a balance of both male and female with the Goddess being dominant ...
    I do not believe in a Heaven or Hell, but more of a beautiful resting place until time comes to continue on your life's journey and when that is complete, you become part of everything...
    But out of all religions that I have studied, Christianity is the hardest one to believe in or follow.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I will identify myself as Agnostic, but I was raised Catholic. My mother used to (and still does) try to push religion down my throat. So many times she would give me lectures on it and not answer questions when I had them. But really the pushing, if not forcing it, on me made me resent it. Then I just started thinking and rationalizing it and realizing that I dont really believe a lot of what is in the Bible and do not agree with some things in the Catholic/Christian faith. I do, however, believe that there is a Supreme Being.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I was raised as a Christian. But I never agreed with most of it! At 6 I announced I was a witch and at 26 I still am!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2010