Help me, he won't hardly eat!

My 1 year old won't hardly eat, I tried quite a few things and he takes a bite and then spits it out. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he's testing you. he'll get hungry. he's resisting change. i wouldn't worry too much unless it goes on for a while, he starts losing weight or gets sickly. call your pediatrician if you are really worried.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Sounds familiar! When my oldest was a toddler it seemed like he did not eat anything (he is 13 and is a good eater now). I did try to keep a variety of foods in the house and offer them often.. We tried pedisure but my son did not like the taste of it. One thing that my son liked (and would take) was carnation instant breakfast, hubs and I would mix that up and offer it to him at mealtime with meals. it might be a good idea to talk to the pediatrician and see what they suggest.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My daughter is not a very good eater at all. She is 13.5 months old. Just this week, she has started eating more and trying a few new things. Good luck and it can be frustrating, I know.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Children will not allow themselves to starve. It may seem to us like they aren't eating enough, but they do know best. My son has always been a picky eater but is fat and healthy and growing like a weed, so I just let him. I would definitely recommend a vitamin supplement (most kids seem to love those Flintstones vitamins-- not MY son, of course, lol) just to make sure he's getting a good amount of the vitamins and minerals he needs. Other than that, I wouldn't sweat it. Keep offering him the food, but don't worry if he doesn't seem to eat much.
    coffee.crisp

Answer by coffee.crisp at 2:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2010