Did you know that chipped nail polish is a breeding ground for bacteria?? You can't get it out by washing your hands, the nail polish has to be removed.

I'm not a germaphobe or anything - I know we all have bacteria everywhere and it can't all be washed off, but this scared me because I always have chipped nail polish and I didn't know I could be carrying around a bunch of bacteria on my hands spreading germs even after i wash my hands!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Health

• what if you use germ killing antibacterial hand sanitizers? (and pay close intention to your fingernails)
    Anonymous

• It's the same amount as what is under your finger nails. This is why people in food service are not allowed nail polish.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I was at the tire center and this older lady noticed my nicely painted nails and then proceeded to tell me that she used to allways have her nails painted and then showed me that she had had to have them removed, because of that. She said you need to let them rest (unpainted) on and off too. I don't know if her experiance was due to the types of polish the had years ago or some other cause, but it has stuck with me and I find myself, less and less often, willing to paint them. anyone else have more facts?
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 12:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2010