Am i at risk for GD because i am healthy???

I just started my third trimester today, i went in for a midwife appt and i have gained 9 lbs in 4 weeks and she seemed concerned. I'm a skinny person, i always have been and i'm very athletic. i never eat sweets cause i don't like how they taste so i have no clue how my body digests sugar cause i don't eat it. i just prefer the taste of healthy food, the idea of dessert to me is fresh fruit. does the fact that i live a healthy lifestyle put me at risk for gd because i never ingest sugar? i have to do the test next month and i'm nervous cause i don't know how my body breaks down something it NEVER gets.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Getting Diabetis of any kind has nothing to do with eating sugar.

Answer by louise2 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i doubt you will test positive. your body will probably handle it very well. or you will just puke it up and it wont matter. lol there is sugar in food that is not considered sweet so your body should know how to handle it.
    Anonymous

• Carbs of all types turn into sugar.

Answer by louise2 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I'd be more worried with pre-eclampsia than GD with the weight gain.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• You'd be surprised how much sugar fruit has in it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• nope...not that, my blood pressure has been perfect
    Anonymous

• Actually, I cut a lot of sugar from my diet last April (and lost weight too), then I got pregnant in August. This glucose test was the first time I ever tested high and had to do the 3 hour test. With my other 3 children, when I was eating more processed foods and sugars, I never tested high. I found it all very odd.

Anonymous

• I am usually 115 lbs not pregnant, and I have had GD with 4 out of 5 of my pregnancies. I'm fairly certain mine is genetic - there is American Indian in my background and they are notoriously susceptible to diabetes, and my dad had it also. The nurses have all told me that as long as I keep my regular weight low that my risk of contracting type II isn't really high, but I have it with my pregnancies. The good thing - mine has always been diet controlled (no insulin) and I have never gained more than 20 lbs, so less to lose after!

Answer by missanc at 7:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I am a very small person at the begining of my preg. I weigh 112 at the end im close to 160 my dr. has never told me I was gaining to much weight and I paced my test
    Anonymous

• Just because you are not eating fruits, doesn't mean you are not getting sugar. Like someone else said fruit is full of natural sugars and carbs like white bread and potatos break down into sugar.
    Anonymous