Ladies, ladies, help me out here

I need to make a long story short so be patient with me. As hard as it is to admit ,I'm going to tell what happened so I can get some advice. My son has issues with lying, he will give you 5 different excuses before you finally get to the truth, he has stolen at times from grandparents, peers at school. Everything's fine when he's being told yes, sure, go ahead but say "NO" and we are going to have some problems, he will disobey and do it anyway or get it anyway... if given the opportunity to get away with it he will try. He is in middle school and understands right from wrong. He had some money in his drawer, he asked if he could take some to school for snacks/candy. He was told "NO" by dad,as we don't want him eating junk...anyway come to find out -this is where i am going to make a long story short-he took some money to school anyway, but before we got him to finally fess up he again told 3 different lies/excuses ---

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• First I would take the money away. Then I would make him do a lot of chores/work around the house. I would probably take all the perks away from him.

Answer by louise2 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• before he finally told the truth, so I guess my question is just in general without having to know more than what I have explained above, how would you handle, punish, discipline, handle this type of situation if you were dealing with your child that had these types of issues?
    Anonymous

• Well my kids are younger, but I am only 24 myself and I remember when I was that age, I was hell on wheels. I ran with the wrong crowd and although I never did anything serious I told my fair share of little lies. My parents got to me by taking things away from me that I loved. For instance.. since he did not want to listen to you about taking some money from his drawer, then YOU take the rest of the money away from him so that he is not able to do this anymore. Has a TV in his room? Take it out! Has a certain activity he does after school or on the weekends? TAKE IT AWAY. I would also like to add that summer is approaching and my parents had me volunteer at a Children's Hospital over the summers that I was in middle school. I hated the idea at first, but I ended up really enjoying it. Plus it kept me off the streets and out of trouble. Sorry I have written a book here but hopefully some of it helped.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• work his little butt off... chores all day for the whole weekend... no budging on it... lots will get done he wont want to deal with that type of weekend again... thats how my mom taught me... i hated the work enough to know better next tiem ithought on stepping out of line...
    Anonymous