How can I ask my neighbor to clean up his backyard?

I just moved into a duplex. My neighbor's backyard is separated from mine with a chain-link fence down the middle. Just on his side of the fence, all down the length, his dog has pooped from front to back. He never scoops it up. The smell is horrible. The other day my boys kicked their ball over there. I had to go get it and I stepped in poop several times because the grass is so high I couldn't see. There's flies everywhere. It's so bad...and the hotter it gets the worse I imagine the smell will get.

I usually bbq in the summer but there's no way as it is because my patio is right along the fence...so no birthday parties either. The front is bad too...not raked, cigars, beer bottles, trash etc. but at least it doesn't stink.

What can I do? He owns his side and I rent, by the way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• So does that make him your landlord? If so, I don't think there's much you can do other than politely ask him to to clean up. Was the yard like this before you moved in? I never would have signed a lease if I saw those conditions.
    Anonymous

• don't ask just call animal control and let them TELL HIM that its abuse not to clean it if he leaves the dog bag there.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• He's not my landlord, no. It was cold and snowy when moved in and hasn't become apparent until now.
    Anonymous

• Well since he's not the landlord, that gives you some more flexibility. You could complain to your land lord or complain to the city. Most cities have ordinances about yard conditions. You could probably even complain to the Health Department if its as bad as it sounds.

Anon 7:33
    Anonymous

• ick.Thats nasty. If you don't feel comfortable ging over there and just bluntly telling him "Your backyard is nasty, you need to do something about that"...then I would call the city on him. Good luck with that, hope he cleans it up soon! Don't let it go, you and your kids should be able to enjoy your yard and outdoor activities without smelling and seeing that.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• sorry i meant if he leaves the dog "back" there.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Even if he was your landlord you can call code compliance on him. That is a health hazard I would think.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Call the Housing Authority or Health Department and turn him in. I believe you can even call the police department.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• well you can call non emergency police and just ask for their advice....call the local humane society too and ask them what to do
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• If the community have no set rules for yard care then there really isn't much you can do. Animal control will not do much over uncut grass and not- picked up poop. They will be more concerned over does he have shelter and is he being fed as well as having access to water at all times. If those are the case then you have a chance. YOur land lord may consider your complains but again if there is no set rule about how the lawn looks then he can choose not to do anything. I would approach him from the direction of you not being comfortable with your children playing in a yard with so much animal stoop run of making the at risk for round and pin worms if the dog is on no preventatives. At the same time you risk making 'bad blood' between you and your very close neighbor. You really need to think this one out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2010