wet pants and more wet pants

My daughter led the way in early potty training. She started telling me before she wet, taking off her diaper, saying "poo poo" and then peeing on the floor... trying to climb up on the potty, saying "poo poo." We started working with her and she was quickly in underwear because she simply wasn't using her diaper. She was dry for naps, even long ones, dry most nights (now she's dry every morning). She had a stretch of a whole week at 18 months where she didn't have a single accident and we only took her to the potty if she asked to go (the only exception being before sleep time or before we left the house). Well, now it's like we have to ask her to go or else she will wet her pants. If she has to poop she tells us, but not often for pee. Backtracking is not an option, she's been out of diapers and pull-ups completely for over a month. How do I jump start this thing again? It's like she's just being lazy. She's 19 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start taking her and making her sit every 30 minutes or so...then, she will start to pick it up again.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• OP here: Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with that in our case is that she has the bladder of a champ.. she can hold it for ages, and she gets mad if I make her sit when she doesn't need to go. My first child would pee whenever I put her on the potty, no matter if it was a couple of drops. Not so for this one... In fact, to prevent an accident I would only have to take her about every 2 hours and most of the time she would be fine. But it's like she totally gets it -- she knows there's no reason to sit there unless she needs to pee -- and yet she won't stop what she's doing to pee.
    Anonymous

• Well, if you have her sit , but, give her a toy to play with that she can only have if she is sitting there, would that help? Or a book.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Honestly, I think you're really lucky at that age. It's very common to go backwards in this, however maddening it is. If you react aggressively, that makes it worse (not that you are). Just go back to the same steps as before and reconsider pullups or you'll keep getting the wet pants. Could be a need for attention or laziness or a change at home?
    Anonymous

• At that age kids need to be reminded to go potty. I had a 3 year old that would get so into what he was doing that he wouldn't stop to go pee on the potty. I think you may be expecting too much.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you should try inviting her to use the bathroom each time you do, she'll love being included and start going more often.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I forgot to add the totally crazy thing about this... she tells me EVERY time she needs to go while we're out in public, in the car, anywhere besides home. We had a whole day last week where we drove 1.5 hours to see some friends, she had me stop once on the way, walked herself into the bathroom every time she needed to pee at their house and came and asked for help if I didn't notice her run off, she didn't need to go during the ride home, but said it right as we were getting out of the car. This was an hour before bedtime... she had had not a single accident up until that point, then proceeded to have two before bed (as though she had a quota to make lol) It's only at home that she's lazy about it...
    Anonymous

• Tell her if starts telling you she has to go at home , like she does when shes out. then she will get a sticker, of some charater she really likes or candy like a couple m&ms. as a reward.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:33 AM on Apr. 17, 2010