When to call?

So today I had an old friend visiting me. She's been away for almost 5 years. She works for an oil company and her duties are to travel around the world.
When showing her the exit of my building we heard a child crying to my surprise she said "maybe we should call child services". Why would she think that way when the child is my neighbors son and I know both of them and moreover my son also sometimes cries like no other.
Should we teach our children how to cry so others don't think that the child is being abused/neglected/hit...etc....LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• In a perfect world, Children cry as a means of communication before they have speech. Later, they cry because of selfishness which we as parents are supposed to lead them out of. Children have stress, just as much as we do and you need to consider their skills of coping. Crying, lets it out..... the stress, the unwillingness for change and the losses. Mommy no longer carries me everywhere, I cannot play all day and they are all big ticket items to a small child. In the unperfect world that we live in, it gets complicated. There is abuse and the lines get blurred especially in high density areas. The wisdom of Soloman is required, it seems. I think our instincts to know the difference still are mostly right, but getting to know your neighbors is still the best path.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:26 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Hey, I got CPS called on me by a neighbor 7 years ago because my 18 month old son fell down, bumped his knee and DIDN'T CRY!
    Anonymous

• Does your friend not have children of her own? If not, it's possible that she is not familiar with children and the noise they are capable of making.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2010