What are some good ways to know if your sitter is doing a good job?

My 6month old just started this wk at an inhome daycare. the other children are two years old and there are three of them. He is the only baby. What are some things for me to watch for to make sure that he is not being tossed aside all day? What are some good things for me to ask? I do not want to come across as rude or untrusting. I just want to make sure that my baby is getting quality care!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe pop in when they're not expecting you, and see what your child is doing and where he/she is. or maybe have a family friend do it, let the sitter know they'll be picking your baby up, and come at an unknown time or earlier than you said she'd be there..
    Anonymous

• well you can pop in at anytime just say you were in the area and thought of dropping in no harm there and once you get a good vibe you can just relax and pick your cutie up when you are done working. Then again you really don't want those other kids running and jumping around your baby so if the baby is to the side at least the baby will be out of harms way. As long as the baby is being fed and changed and maybe a little attention is ok by me. But if the baby is in a room all alone oh he'll no...GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Its hard at that age. I would say ask or make sure that the baby is always around the other kids, even if he's in a swing, or seat, or whatever he should be in the room where the kids are so he can watch them and that will begin to develop his social skills. If he seems to be bonding with the daycare providers then chances are he is being well taken care of! Also, at that age I'm sure it would be hard to toss him aside all day and focus on the other kids, because at that age they are much more demanding, needing to be fed, held, changed, etc. so unless the place is really poorly run and he is being neglected I wouldn't think they could be ignoring him.
    6IrishKiddos

Answer by 6IrishKiddos at 11:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• There are the big signs that will be evident in a few more weeks: proper weight gain, basic cleanliness (does he suddenly have a lot of diaper rash or food/milk dried under his chin), is his behavior different (more cranky or needy). But I like the idea of just popping in every now and then to see for yourself. Be very wary of any daycare that doesn't allow this or tries to stop you from seeing your child during the day! And in after a week or two, he should be bonding well with the teachers there. Maybe spend a few minutes talking with the teachers when picking him up at the end of the day - see how he is acting towards them. If they are just doing the minimum but not giving him proper attention, he probably won't bond with them (no smiles for them, no signs of wanting to be near them). I think parents always need to trust their instincts until the kid can speak for himself.
    Anonymous