How much money do you have?

I have been trying to save money in a secret place and so far no one but me know about it the reason I am doing this is bc my dh is always broke I mean we have money but when it comes for me to want something he'll say wait till payday anyway some how he found a little of my stash a 20.00 here a 20.00 there. Well today he was paying bills and asked me how much money do I have? I was like I have none...why? Well if you have money you need to put it in the bank bc we need every penny ( he says we are down to this n this much) but in my mind I am like this is why I am saving. The money is for us anyway I just want to be able to have it handy for us. What should I do tired of being broke :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm tired of being broke too
    Anonymous

• You guys need to get on a budget, stop buying anything that isn't totally necessary until you have paid off your bills. You and dh have to be on the same page though. It won't work if only one of you wants out of debt.
    Check out the Dave Ramsey group on cafe mom. You can get lots of support there.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• $740 It is in a place that can't burn and no one would look if our house were broken in to. My husband knows about it and helps put some there, also. We have bank accounts, but this is vacation, fun, or emergency money. We have family out of state and like to be able to grab money if we have to leave in a hurry. Our bank is local and doesn't have a branch there.
    Anonymous

• ditto,...i'm tired of being broke! I would definitely keep doing what your doing, but it seems weird to me that you and your husband have seperate money...? that's what I'm getting from all this if i'm understanding correctly. do you both work?
    If there's anything you can cut back on, I would...like uneeded utilites such as cable and cell phones etc...
    I told my husband (he is the same way as yours, except we don't have seperate money) that whenver he spends on something that isn't a necessity....he has to match what he's spending and I get to spend just as much. It's only fair. He's totally cut back because he can't afford to pay for his luxuries and mine! lol
    Anonymous

• I think you should open your own sacings account at the bank have them email your statements and not mail them to the house. I thik every woman should have some of their own money just in case!
    Anonymous

• What we do is my husband gets a check puts it in the account first thing I do with it is pay all the bill or the ones that are due, then I put a little oway in the savings account then the rest we spend on what we need, when he works over time then we splurge a little and buy what we don't need but we want
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Put money into a CD. DF explained to me that you can only touch it so often. I an not sure though. You should also have a strict budget, and any extra money should be saved.

saylorsmomma

Answer by saylorsmomma at 12:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I tell my husband that we need to stop buying things like beer, every night! that we spend too much in fast food and things we dont need..he listens and he is good for awhile..then he is back to his old ways....what you do is right up on a piece of paper two sections...needs and wants,,,,bills go under needs, fast food and beer go under needs...decide what is most important and pay your rent/mortgage and lights first then go from there
    you can even have someone at the bank help you by....well for the next 6 months every penny has to be deposited into an account and bills are paid first and whatever you spend after that is watched over and this person from the bank will direct you as too how to really be wise at spending money
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Have you considered getting a job? Is your spouse looking for a job with a better salary?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• We are great savers, I have been up to my eyeballs in debt in the past and it will never happen again. We put in savings first and then pay everything else. What ever is left over thats what we have for the month. If its nothing then we get nothing. We now have 100K in savings and about 100K in retirement accounts.
    Anonymous