having 'accidents' after being potty trained?

My 3 1/2 yr old has been potty trained for 1 1/2 yrs now. He on occasion was having accidents when before he never had accidents. Just today he went on the couhc, our bed and the in the bathtub (not while taking a bath, but using our bathtub as a toilet. He knows to only go on the toilet, but I'm wondering why he is doing this. I though it was for attention, but a few times he did it when he was playing with my husband, and then they stopped for a min. Also, he asked a few times for me to change his diaper (I have a 22 month old in diapers on the verge of potty training) and I'm pregnant with my third. Do you think he's reacting to the pregnancy? and how should i handle this?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it could have something to do with the pregnancy/ other child... Talk to him & see what his feelings are about his siblings, if he may feel left out, or something..

My dd is almost 3.5yrs & has been PT for a lil over a year now, she has accidents- maybe 1-2mo.. but usually its from not making it in time (she'll pee in the bathroom floor while trying to get her undies off).. Poor girl gets so upset/ embarrassed. But she has no siblings around or OTW just yet.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I don't know personal, but my good friend has a 3 year old and she is going thru a divorce. She ended up moving out into a new place and it's like he completely forgot how to go on the potty. She talked to her doc about it and he said sometimes when big life changed (divorce, new baby, ext) younger child will revert back to "baby" things. With my friend his mom had to also go back to work and she was a stay at home mom so I think he was doing it a little bit for attention because he still got her attention ASAP, even if it was negative attention. So I would think that it does have to do something about the new baby. I just would keep on motivating to use the potty and don't discipline him for not going on the potty. It's probably gonna get a lil worse one the baby is actually born :-/ Good luck mama :-)
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• the weird things that he is our oldest so we went through this before... maybe he remembers?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2010