Sheriff To Texas Border Town: 'Arm Yourselves'. Thoughts?

"You farmers, I'm telling you right now, arm yourselves," he said. "As they say the old story is, it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by six. Damn it, I don't want to see six people carrying you."
~Hudspeth County, Texas Sheriff Arvin West

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Last month, a well-known rancher was murdered in southeastern Arizona. Authorities suspect an illegal immigrant did it.

The murder prompted governors in New Mexico and Texas to send forces to the border. This week, the Mexican government sent dozens of police and soldiers to the Juarez Valley to restore order

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• If ilived there I would be moving for my childrens safety.If I couldnt darn right I would be armed!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I don't know if I would move, but I sure would be of the shoot first and ask questions later camp. It is ridiculous that people have to arm themselves against illegals. I thought they just wanted a better life for themselves and their babies? That is how they go about it?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• This past year there has been a lot of violence down there. I wouldn't feel safe. They have been warning people who travel to be extra careful because of it. This is because of the drug gangs. A very specific threat. This isn't a general warning about illegal immigration just because it's a border town.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I like his idea.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My thoughts? They should take his advise.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I understand a lot of the violence is due to the drug cartels. But there are still illegals trying to cross. That seems insane to me to get right out there in the middle of that, just to sneak into the US.

If I lived down there, I would most certainly be armed at all times.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Yeah, the drug cartels have become very powerful there. I hope the people do defend themselves if/when the need arises.
    Anonymous

• LMAO! My dad said that if they post armed legal imigrants at certain posts along the border, gave them 2 million dollars and told them that for every illegal that got passed their line than they would lose a portion of that money. See how many come through after that :) Only my father would come up with something like that....
    Anonymous

• You better damn well believe I would be armed if I lived on the border...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2010