has anyone gotten glasses and prescription done at wal-mart?

how much did it cost you? was it cheaper than an eye doctor? my dh doesnt have insurance, so we'd be paying out of pocket.

mywonderyears

Asked by mywonderyears at 10:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i paid about 65 for the exam and about 250 for my frames and lenses together. it ended up costing about the same as any other place in my area.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• It wasn't too bad, 2 pair of glasses, one was prescription sunglasses, and the exam for my Hubby, all total it was about 400.00...We also had our youngest done and his was 269.00 for the glasses, and exam. Then his glasses broke and they replaced them for free, lenses and frames... They were very nice, and we plan to go back.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Yes, I have, and I strongly advise against it. It was marginally cheaper than any other eye doctor, but the glasses were not very good quality. Paying out of pocket, even though it will cost more initially (in terms of the frames and lenses will be more expensive), it will be cheaper to go to the eye doctor. Or, get the exam done at walmart and take the rx to an eye dr's showroom to get the glasses.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• were the frames and lenses a really expensive kind? i suppose you wouldnt know of the cheapest *efficent glasses price?
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 10:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• so get the exam done at the walmart and take the rx to the doc office and buy the glasses?
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 10:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i went to america best and got 2 pairs eye exam and all for $100...wal mart isnt bad on prices but if there is an americas best near you i recommend them.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Their frames are very cheaply made and tend to break very easily. I only go to my uncle and always pay out of pocket. I have major eye issues and only trust him. I even go to him when I have vision insurance that he doesn't take. My sight is very important to me, so I go where I trust, no matter the cost.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I went to Target. My exam was $40 and glasses $200.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i am wearing glasses and those were bought @ walmart, the exam was $50.00 and the glasses were 250.00 i had to wait to get them thought cause we too had to pay out of pocket...they are cheap and they offer to fix them for a year i think.
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I guess if you buy the cheap frames then they won't hold up well... We didn't pick out the cheap ones, and our sons broke because he's 6 and plays rough... Otherwise we've never had a problem. I got my Guess frames at a regular eye Dr's office and the nose pieces fell off within 6 months... Without eye insurance walmart works for us, it's fast, and easy to get in. Took us a week to get the glasses, and they both had the transition lenses.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2010