Craigslist drama!

My neighbor sold her 1.5 year old broyhill sofa, chair and ottoman on craigslist a couple weeks ago to a woman. She wanted my neighbor Rose to deliever it. The lady told Rose that she would pay half now and half upon delieveryShe told her that I am not a delivery service but she would hold it for her until she had the means to pick it up. Well she said that she had no means to pick it up. Rose suggested either hiring a moving company or get someone with a truck to come get it. The lady kept bothering her about it so Rose gave her a number to a neighbor with a truck. The lady called him and they worked out price and time and stuff (the lady hired him to do this). In the process of him moving it there, the ottoman and chair fell of the truck and got all smashed up on the highway. The lady told Rose that she wanted her money back because of him loosing 2 of the 3 pieces on the highway. Rose said she was unable to do that because

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 10:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Shopping

• she had already purchased her new sofa with the money. Now the lady is going to take Rose to court because of this. Can Rose be held responsible after it leaves her driveway when someone this lady hired to delivery damaged the stuff? I was just curious if any one had any ideas on what she should do. It is stressing her out. Thanks!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I would say she is not responsible in any way even though she helped her find a mover. if anyone is responsible it should be the mover. why did the lady pay the man who moved it anyway, that was her refund.
    Anonymous

• she sure can.. rose will have to pay... its just like if a real moving compay messes up ur stuff in shipment they have to replace it.
    Anonymous

• "Can Rose be held responsible after it leaves her driveway when someone this lady hired to delivery damaged the stuff?"

I think that after it left her driveway, she was no longer responsible. IF this makes it to the court room, I think the judge will say that the buyer needs to "go after" the guy that the buyer hired to do the job. Rose didn't arrange that, the buyer did. If the buyer had picked it up personally and it fell off the truck, Rose would not be responsible for that either.

If anyone is responsible, it is the guy that the buyer hired to deliver the furniture. If I were Rose, I would call the court house and ask what kind of liability she has (if any at all!)

Good Luck to your friend!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Sounds to me like the driver of the load is responsible, not the seller. THat would be like if I buy something at a store, leave and break it in the parking lot. I can't go back in the store and ask for my money back.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Thanks everyone. Rose didnt know what kind of agreement and stuff that they buyer and the neighbor worked out. She just gave her the number and said you can try him. She even told the lady that she would be best hiring a bonded person to move it (it is in emails to the lady). The buyer has been harrassing her for almost 2 weeks. Rose has kept all the emails about it for when they go to court. It is just insane. It is getting nastier and nastier. The lady bough the stuff for 500 dollars. The guy who delievered it didnt charge her the 60 dollars they had worked out for this. He offered her 200 dollars for the damages. She refused and he said then take me to court. She does not want to take him, she wants to take Rose. It just does not make sense to me. Its like if I would buy a sofa from a furniture store and I took it home myself and it fell of the truck, it would be my own fault, not the stores.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• "she sure can.. rose will have to pay..."

BUT, Rose did not move the furniture herself. A third party, hired by the buyer moved and damaged the furniture. (at least that is my understanding of the issue)

look at it this way.... if you went to, say Home Depot, and bought a lawn mower and instead of paying the store to deliver it, you ask your neighbor "bubba" to pick it up with his truck. On the way home Bubba gets in a accident and the mower is destroyed. Home Depot won't give you your money back because Bubba messed up the mower!

I can understand why Rose may feel scared. Especially if this woman is pushy and aggressive about this. But, I really feel that if she contacts the courts they will tell her that she is not responsible (the hired mover is) and since Rose didn’t hire the mover… that places responsibility elsewhere.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Rose is not responsible.... The guy who was delivering it will be held accountable. But I think it is her own fault because she should have hired a professional.
    missvicky

Answer by missvicky at 12:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The mover's insurance should cover this.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The guy who was moving the furniture is first held responsible. Because he didn't tie it down properly in the first place.
    Then Rose MUST give the women her money back, because the pieces were damaged.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:33 PM on May. 19, 2010