What is up with the Census stuff?

So I was going through DS's Friday folder from school and they put a refrigerator magnet in there from the census. I don't understand why they need to put something in my kid's folder. I filled the thing out, sent it back. I don't need a reminder (that is paid for with tax dollars) to fill out a form. First they do commercials. Then they send me a letter telling me I will be getting the census. Then they send me the census. Then they send me a postcard reminding me to fill out the census. They send a magnetic reminder home in my DS's backpack (I only have one in elementary school right now, but if DD was in there I would be getting two of these wasteful items). Just how much is it costing each one of us to count us I wonder? Anyone have a figure?
Have you received any other promotional items from the census bureau?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's expensive. It's insane. It's a waste!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My 11 yr old got a 2010 Census water bottle for turning in a signed sheet that said I read about the census (they learned about it in social studies). The water bottle is kinda cool, and at least it will be put to good use, I guess.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Because many people are not filling them out.

My daughters school sent home a flyer

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The schools are interested in making sure that the census is completed by everyone in their community because the census helpsdetermine how much federal funding the schools get.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 12:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• My kid didn't get anything. Should I be upset? Who do I call to complain about this obvious lack of fairness in the government school system? LOL!! They still have commercials on TV that say it's not too late to fill it out and send it in! Such a colossal waste of money! I thought the only thing it was SUPPOSED to be used for was to make sure that the reps were distributed evenly, in a manner of speaking. Too bad that it is the basis for so much bs now.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Oh goody the government found more things to waste money on!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I understand what the census means to the schools, but it really bothers me that every taxpayer out there is paying for cheap promotional products as reminders. The water bottle sounds like it was less of a waste of money, but it still bothers me that our tax money is used for stuff that we likely wouldn't buy for ourselves.

I liken this to the massive waste many charities have when after you donate $50.00 to something they send you wrapping paper, a blanket, an umbrella and countless sheets of address stickers. How much of that $50 donation actually went to the cause and how much went to promotional products? it's a waste.

I suppose it shouldn't surprise me, our government is top gun when it comes to finding ways to waste tax payer money.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• LOL, I wonder how much of it was made in China and how much of it contains lead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Well, I lost my census. Funny, I know. I had just decided to fill the da** thing out and return it, and I can't find it.

so I call to get a replacement, and I can't even talk to a human without the special number on the form...

um, if I had the number, I wouldn't need a replacement form... just sayin!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2010