Just doesn't want to leave

So my 2 year old daughter just doesn't want to leave some places. The other day we were at the park and we were playing for probaly an hour and a half/ 2 hours and when I said it was time to go she lost it! Kicking, screaming, crying, and just kept saying, "NO NO PLAY" Tomorrow we are suppose to have a play date with her cousin, and last time we had a play date they spent probaly 5-6 hours together and when it was time to go again she lost it! To make a long story short we actually ended up staying the nite. Sometimes I actually kind of hesident to go places because I know some places she will just have a break down when its time to go. What should I do?

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• did you give her any warnings t tyhat you needed to leave soon? My 3 1/2 yr old does that sometimes too. I give him warnings, it helps, although it doesn't get rid of the temper tantrums, especially when he's tired. Maybe also give her something to look forward to by leaving... like when we get home we are going to......, not a brib, but just an activity she can look forward to.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Sounds like a normal 2 year old. From now on I would tell her BEFORE you go somewhere, how long you are staying and if she has a fit when it's time to go then she will never go back. My daughter is 3 and I did that when she was 2 and now I can get her away from places without her having a fit.
    Anonymous

• btw... thats normal behavoir from that age.
    Precious333

• Show her whos boss. My son did that at grandmas house all the time. I would carry him to the car and put him in his seat, fight to keep him in it, buckle him, buckle him again and again and again. He would cry the whole 15, 20 miles home. he would still be crying when we got in the house. After a while, he learned that I was going to win every time. And he stoped. It was a long time...but it was worth it in the end lol.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 11:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have 3 kids. My first 2 all I had to say was that we were leaving in 5 minutes, they were always fine. My youngest needed at least a 15 minute warning by 5's then 3, 2, ok, time to go. It just eased his transition. He might fuss or pitch a fit but that is normal for toddlers. Still at 5 he needs warnings for some things but not as much as he did. It does get easier.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• That's what a lot if not all toddler do. its a natural thing. But yes you have to tell your little one that you both are only going to be there for a certain amount of time , (you tell him the time) because later you have to do something or go somewhere, he might not like that idea either when its time to go. but at least he was warned. and don't worry thats normal for a toddler, he's only telling you he's having alot of fun.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• My daughter who is 28 months does this sometimes like at the park. I just tell her about 20 mins before we leave, we are leaving soon so play hard. Then afterwards WE ALWAYS go get a drink or a snack at one of our drive thru drink places and that helps peel her away from the thing we are doing! I think all 2 year olds do this though. and its hard.. just cant give in. I mean it started raining one day at the park suddenly and she threw a fit but once she got her sprite she was fine! They just dont understand or want to yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• This is normal behavior for this age. It will end relatively quickly if you simply follow through and leave when this happens. Calmly tell her "I know you want to stay and play but it is time to go" and pick her up and leave. If you give in and stay longer she will learn that it works. If you basically ignore it and do what you said, regardless of her reaction, then she will learn it doesn't work and she will stop.
    Keep in mind that tantrums are much more likely to happen when child is tired and or hungry. You can try a shorter play date, and/or giving a snack near the end. Don't forget to tell her what a good job she does when she leaves w/o making a scene!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I have a grandson that is 18 mo and I take care of him every other day. Almost always my son is alone for tranisitions and we handle them matter of fact. No kisses and long goodbyes. Just waves, bye, later. He often closes the door on his dad. We know about the time when his dad will be coming to pick him up and start letting him know. We start being more boring. Sometimes he doesn't want to leave but he usually is ok with it. I am dreading the day they have to start dragging him away.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• i acctually think that your teaching your daughter a bad habit. your teaching her that if she whines and complains enough shes gunna get whatever she wants. you need to let her know when enough is enough. and that when you say its time to go then you guys are gunna go wether she likes it or not. you need to show some kind of authority twards your kid. remember your the boss not her because YOUR the parent!!
    mimi210

Answer by mimi210 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2010