health insurance and diapers

Does anyone know if you can get diapers through your health insurance for a child who is disabled? If so what age do they have to be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My sister was disabled and it took my mom a long time to get any from the insurance. My sister was 23 when she was able to get them.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I'm not sure but I do know if you're doctor writes a prescription for them that there are places you can get them tax free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• My children who have special needs all get diapers or overnights through their insurance. You have to have a Rx and they have to be 4 years old for our insurance. I would call the insurance company and ask. We have something called Care Connection through our local children's hospital and they even sent me a list of OTC medicines that our insurance will pay for if we get a Rx. My son has soina bifida and uses suppositories for his bowel program. We were spending about $45 a month on them and now we get them through the insurance.
    sgarrett995

Answer by sgarrett995 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• In many states, medical assistance or a waiver insurance program(administered through the DPW) will pick up the cost for a child with a qualifying disability who is age 3 or older. Private insurance is hit or miss, depending on what's in your plan. Your best bet would be to call your insurance company and ask if diapers are a covered HHC service.
    Anonymous

• Depends on where you live. In NC there is a waiver program that will provide diapers for disabled people. Call your local Autism Society (or the state one if there isn't one locally) and ask them how you can get diapers covered - they would know.

Answer by missanc at 1:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Check w/ your insurance co. You may also be eligible for Medicaid benefits to help w/ these costs.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I think it may take awhile.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010