5.5 months old and 12.9lbs? Normal or not normal

I'm a little worried about my nephew, he got weighed the other day and was 12.9 lbs. he hasn't even doubled his birth weight, is this normal for an almost 6 month old? at 6 months my son was crawling and standing and was maybe a little hefty for his age, so I don't like comparing our children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• no, that doesnt sound normal. what does his ped say?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I'm no doctor or nurse, but thats doesn't seem normal. All kids are different so it might just be okay for him. My friend has an almost 3 year old, and he still wears 12 month old clothes. My daughter just turned 2 and shes in 3T. All kids are different, but 12 pounds at 6 months just seems REALLLY low. I would just tell her sister/ brother to talk to the doc to make sure that the baby is healthy!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• OP HERE: she see's the doctor and from my knowledge no one has said anything. Its just so odd, our children are 2.5 months apart, and I remember when My son was 5 months old, he was sitting up by himself, in fact, I remember when my son was 4 months old my sister getting very frustrated with my son because he couldn't hold his own bottle, and forced my sons hands around his bottle and "made" him hold it. my son balled his little eyes out being restrained and forced before he was ready to hold his own bottle. N now her son at almost 6 months of age, cant roll over, cant hold his own head up, cant hold a bottle and is the smallest 5.5 month old I've ever seen!
    not only does he only weight 12.9 he is only 20 inches tall!
    Anonymous

• Yeah I don't believe any Dr is no concerned...smells pretty fishy
    Anonymous

• At 4months, my son was 15lbs and at 6 months, he was 18lbs. He is about about 4 lbs behind my son who was right in the 50% for his height. So, he may be smaller, but, maybe not completely off the chart. Not real sure. If you knew how long he was it would be easier to decide. My son was 24in at 4months and 28in at 6 months. My son was also 7lbs 8oz at birth and full term, what about him?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Wow,,was he a premmie baby at birth?
    Anonymous

• It could be normal, or there could be something wrong. Is the doctor concerned or have they done any tests on him? My daughter didn't double her birthweight until she was a year old, she was 8 lbs when she was born, and she is perfectly healthy. I have a friend who's children are all very tiny and who are late at developing most milestones, but they are healthy and nothing has ever been found wrong with them, and they have had a LOT of testing done, her oldest (and smallest) daughter only weighed 12 lbs at a year old, she was 6 lbs when she was born. I think she's just going to be one of those people that are like 80 or 90 lb adults. So anyway, I'm just saying it does happen sometimes that kids can just be that small and there is nothing wrong, but yes he is very small.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Ok, you answered as I typed. LOL

For his height, his weight is fine. His not meeting milestones is a little concerning. He might have a medical issue that needs looked at. Like maybe dwarfism...it usually doesn't cause delays like not rolling over though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My son was 10 lbs at birth,,,cant imagine a 5 month old just 2 lbs over that! I would get a referral to a childrens hospital dr,,those pediatricians are no help,,
    Anonymous

• I missed your second post, it definately sounds like something is wrong if he can't even hold up his head or roll over. Unless he was a preemie, that could explain all of it if he was.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2010