When do you take your child to the dentist for the first time?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids went for a "fun" visit first (around 2-1/2, and the dentist didn't do much. Then they went for a "real" visit at 3. Our insurance wouldn't pay before 3yo. But the fun visit at 2-1/2 made them more comfortable when they went back for the real cleaning and exam.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I took mine when their first teeth came in. Then at age one, it was every six months.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:34 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Two, but DS#3 will be going in right after he turns 1. For me, it's just to get them used to seeing the dentist. The anticipation for me, waiting to see the dentist, literally makes me ill...throw up ill. So I didn't want my kids to feel that at all. My four year old is just now actually getting his teeth cleaned and really checked on though.
    tennisgal

Answer by tennisgal at 1:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Your really suppose to send them when they get atleast 4 teeth. Have fun :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• if you took them in when they had just 4 teeth.. I'm just curious.. what all did the dentist do? Just look and say good.. or ?
    Po0okiebear69

Answer by Po0okiebear69 at 4:00 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Hmm, I called around to about 5 different dentists in my area and they all told me that I should just come back or make an appointment when my son is about 3 years old and that in the meantime, to just make sure that his teeth don't turn dark or anything and to just try to brush them every day/night. That threw me off though because I've always heard from his doctor to get them checked at 1 year of age...
    MommaCassE

Answer by MommaCassE at 4:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• We started regular visitst at 18 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I took all mine around 2. We go to a pediatric dentist and that is what they suggest.
    sgarrett995

Answer by sgarrett995 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Mine just turned 3 and had his first appointment this week. I couldnt find anyone that would take him earlier than that unless it was an emergency. We've talked up the dentist alot and he goes when his big sister has gone for her cleanings so he was pretty familiar with it. But he was still a little scared when he walked into the room. But they were really great with him and did he did awesome.

I say if you can take them earlier, but if you have problems getting them in like me the latest to start with a dentist in my opinion is 3.
    mrs.will

Answer by mrs.will at 10:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• " Po0ok...
    if you took them in when they had just 4 teeth.. I'm just curious.. what all did the dentist do? Just look and say good.. or ? "

YES! I found out AFTER I was told that my 2yo (breastfed, never had a bottle or juice) needed dental surgery, that my dh had weak enamel and had his teeth sealed as a child.

If you child's teeth are not developing properly a lot of damage can be done by 3 years old.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2010