whats the best way for a baby to sleep with sleep apnia?

my son who is 3 months has sleep apnia and was out on a sleep apnia machine well because he stops breathing at night and i cant find a postion for him to sleep with ut the machines alarmming ever hr so please help

mommy4life717

Asked by mommy4life717 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• O gosh I remember that machine. lol My dd had one at that age and we had to deal with it for a year. I put her in the swing and car seat. The doctor actually told me to do that and it helps with the apnea because they are sitting up right more. Good luck it is hard to deal with.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I've never experienced it, did the dr recommend positions??? Good luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• On your chest with you propped up slightly.. I bet the alarms will stop. You can tie baby to your chest with a wrap. Use wedge positioners so you do not roll over. My mom slept like this with me because I had reflux. I know being next to mom helps apnea. If you can't do it at night because you take sedatives at least do it in the day. In the car seat might be okay but if her head bobs forward at all she could stop breathing too. A swing sure as long as it reclines enough that her head cannot bob forward. But I really would try skin to skin sleeping, it will likely save the baby a lot of apnea episodes or hospitalization.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I agree with above poster... Try to sleep with your child skin to skin, you sitting in an upright position... I know its been said it helps baby to "remember" to breath... Hoping you find something that works for you, good luck!! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• They will go off regardless unless your baby is completely immobile (which I hope not). My oldest daughter went home on an an apnea monitor and it went off because of her changing positions, sometimes ripping the tabs off (she never had any episodes at home though).
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Co sleeping with baby on your chest is probably the best. My son had sleep apnea, not bad, but enough to warrant the machine. After one night of it, I started co sleeping. I woke up about twice per night for about a week when he had stopped breathing. I rubbed his back and breathed real deep myself, and it prompted him to breathe.
    Anonymous