Questions about moving out of state with daughter

I am getting married and my soon to be husband lives 25 miles away from me. The new residence would be 35 miles from daughters dad compared to 15 miles now. The new residence is close to my family and my daughters school. State laws say he cannot stop me from moving, only change the parenting plan. Our parenting plan says "for parents who reside within 50 miles of each other." So I assume that it should still work for us? Daughters father is gonna do everything possible to stop the move or to make me do all the transportation. What are the chances of him winning? Right now our plan is every other weekend and every other wednesday for 3 hours. We split transportation which I would like to continue. I'd also like to change the 3 hour visit every other week - only because she would get picked up at 5:30, arrive at her dads at 6:15ish then I pick up at 8:30 and we don't get home til 9"15 or later. Bedtime is 8pm!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I dont see anything wrong with you moving, as long as he is getting his time with her. We had the every-other-weekend thing when my parents split up, and went with our dad every thursday night until 7 or so, kinda like what you are doing... I got sick and tired of it and joined sports so I could spend thursdays doing something else, and pretty soon the idea was given up.

I think if you tried to sit down and beat it into his head that it is better for ur dd to be closer to school and that it would be detrimental to keep her up like that on a school night, he might concede. He might even be willing to pick up an extra weekend every couple months to offset the difference!

I have the ability with my dd's dad to change up days/weekends if need be, it might not always be easy, but we work it out eventually :D

GOOD LUCK!!
    bananaapplepie

Answer by bananaapplepie at 3:30 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• i think, so what if you end up doing all of the transportation if that allows you to be with your new hubby and closer to your family. i would still hire a lawyer and fight for split transportation, but if that is your only compromise, then it is not so bad. if he is putting up a fight just for spite, then you do not have to sink to that level. it is best for your daughter if only one of you is playing these games.
    about the wednesdays, maybe he could pick her up 1 hour earlier...or like the pp said, a few extra weekends a year.
    divorce is very hard, but don't forget in the end it is hardest on your daughter.
    i wish you the best of luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:54 AM on Apr. 17, 2010