my daughter holds her poop...

my daughter is 19 months. she has always had problems with pooping. but for the last few months she has been holding her poop. she will stand with her cheeks clinched holding it in. i have to do liquid suppositorys to help her poop. i have tryed everything to keep her going but she just holds it in. why does she do this? does anyone else have this problem? please help!!!

Preggydyke

Asked by Preggydyke at 4:05 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She has figured out bowel control. This is one of the first signs of being ready to potty train. I would get a potty chair and try and coax her to sit on it. If she doesn't like sitting in her own poop then this may be a solution. She could be holding it because she doesn't like sitting in her own poop. I wish you luck
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Trying to potty train would be the absolute worst thing to do. When you try to potty train too early, 19 months is too early, a child can start holding poop in because of fear of pooping and get very, very constipated. It can even lead to fistulas and infections and bleeding around the anus. It can be deadly.

You want to do what you can to help her poop in her diaper. Stop constipating foods like milk and milk products. When you see any signs she might be starting to have a bowel movement then help her squat and move the poop out and into her diaper. My grandson is the same age and squating is the normal thing for kids to do. Change the diaper right after so she doesn't have to stay in the dirty diaper. Some kids don't like dirty diapers, others could stay in them all day.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• One of the main causes is that a child gets constipated which caused pain so she is associating pooping with pain and is trying to hold it because of that. When she does go is it hard/dry or more normal? If it continues it can get a LOT worse. I highly recommend researching "encopresis" Just do a google search of it and you will find quite a bit of info. It will be quicker than me trying to explain it here. You need to do what you can to make it easy for her to poop: Increase her fiber intake, increase the amount of liquids she drinks (fiber without liquid can back her up) Possibly limit dairy (highly constipating in some kids) and other starchy foods. Those last 2 are more if she is constipated already though. Also, pedialax makes fiber gummies. I don't remember the age for them but the reviews are promising. Good Luck.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 3:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• she might be doing this because she wants to start using the potty. around this age people start potty training.
    mimi210

Answer by mimi210 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2010