Mother-in-Law - Venting

So me and my bf live with his mother. It gets so frustrating at times. I try to clean as much as i can considering im home with the baby. But there are days that i just cant get the cleaning done reason being baby wants lots of attention. plus we have wooden floor so i lay2 blankets out one over the other with his toys so he can learn to crawl and play with all his toys. Most of the day thats what he does. So she tells me to pick it up after he is done but the thing is if i pick it up im gonna have to bring it out 15 mins later. That is a big hassel. I know her house her rules. It just gets frustrating. I guess I just have to deal with it until she moves out which hopefully it will be in a couple of months. Has anyone or is anyone going through this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am staying with my mother for the next month, i have the oppisite problem!! she doesnt clean. my daughter just learned to crawl and gets to everything, my mother left a dinner plate with a knife in her reach!!! when i said something she said my daughter could n't have hurt herself. my daughter also has a sinus infection right now, my mom used to be an MA years and years ago, she seems to think that my doctor has no clue what they are doing and my daughter should have twice as much antibiotics at a time, i told her no, she told mre i dont have medical training, and she would do it if she felt it was right, so now i cant trust her to babysit and im keeping the antibiotics at a neighb ors house with directions not to let my mom get to them
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 4:56 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• oh wow! that sucks. ya, how is a baby not going to hurt themselves with a knife. ummm, they do grab everything. my son like to play with my keys and he screams when i take them away. number one they have so much germs on them and number 2 he can scratch his eye out or jab his throat. these are not toys!
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 5:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• How old is the baby? You say learning to crawl - ask if she would allow you to put a playpen in a corner - then it's his little domain that stays safe & happy. If you word it right - " you keep the home so beautiful, & this way all his stuff stays in one little place & out of the way" - she might take to the idea - also means that baby is safer once mobile . Another idea is stay in your bedroom with him - she will soon come looking for you, when she asks why you aren't coming out tell her that you are aware of how unhappy the baby mess is making her & you are trying to minimise it. - it's subtle, but really not subtle & she might pull her head out of the clouds a bit.The last idea I have is - I had a play mat that had a draw-cord all the way around the outside- when baby wasn't on it , you pulled the strings & all the toys were packed inside in a second. Playtime again you pulled it open Patterns at fabric shops simplicity etc
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:21 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Now that you mention the play pen, that is why i put him on the floor. she put his play pen away. MY SIL is pregnant and we just had a shower for her well she left some of her stuff here and it is the big stuff so she says she is gonna put the play pen away until she takes the stuff up to her daughter. so where am i suppose to put him. our room is to small for him to play in. we barely have room for our stuff. where did you get the playmat
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• LOL so pack the stuff up & take it to the daughter & get that play pen out! Yep the bedroom is small - play on the bed, or push the bed right against the wall so one person has no side to get out - that gives you more floor space.
    The playmat was made from a Pattern - If you go to a fabric shop & look through the catalogues of dress patterns (simplicity butterick, mccalls) there are heaps of that sort of thing - Basically you get two pieces of padded fabric like two blankets, cut them into a circle, sew a seam all the way around the outside, then another seam about an inch inside the first seam to make a little pocket all the way around. At one point on the circle cut from the edge to just before the second stitch line. Grab some cord _long enough to go all the way around the edge & thread it all the way around the edge of the circle in the little pocket space, pull the ends together and tie a knot. contd
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:47 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• At pack up time pile toys in centre, grab the cord ends and pull, the whole perimeter of the mat will gather up on the cord, all toys inside :-) Hope this description made sense
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• i wish it was that easy but she lives in victorville and i am not driving all the way over there. . . and it does make sense i will have to look into that. thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I have uploaded a PDF with basic drawings here - might give you more of an idea what I mean :-)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/zymznwgzymk/playmat.pdf
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:16 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• okay -I'd offer to drop them off for you but I'm in Australia - little too far for me
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• We got this huge play-pen, & it's great, I can totally see a baby having room to do so in this thing.We got it at costco, or BJ's wholesale store it's awsome & you leave it up.You can bend it any dirrection & it's unbreakable.I love it!You can move it in side or outside, it's got no bottom.Have you tried talking to your MI-L? maybee if you let her know your concerns she won't want to be " the bad guy " to her grand-baby & let you keep some area just for him at all times.~Good luck~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 7:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2010