this makes me sick

i have been in FL for just over a week, watching the news is making me sick, there have been three deaths of children under 6 months old, a child left in a car in the heat, a mother sleeping through a dog killing her week old baby, a man accidentally running over his four month old during an arguement with his wife and several people arrested for abuse on children, one man placed his stepdaughter in scalding water, she is being treated for third degree burns, this is the part that disgusts me, the only one facing charges is one of the abusers, the others hav been ruled a tragic accident, all of them have such odd stories... how does a four month old end up in the track of a SUV? how does a mother sleeping through a dog attacking a baby in the same bed as her? how are they not even being charged with negligence!?

Laura_Cruz

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 4:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh that makes me sick too! It makes you think what the hell is going on these days! There are so many crazy tragic things going on with children and no one seems to be being held accountable. It's terrible I just don't know what to do to help the situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• That's horrible. Although, bad things have been happening to children since we've been around - in a class I took, we did a whole section on the History of Childhood. It was pretty much about child rearing since the Roman times, very disturbing to learn how children were viewed..
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 7:33 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• i am sure that charges will be brought against some of these parents, at the very least they will be investigated. sometimes i can't even watch the news.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• you forgot about the Haley cumming story in satsuma. It makes me so sad hearing all these stories. It wakes you up a little doesn't it
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Wheeping yes.. children were possessions for most of human history. It wasn't until the humane society that child labor/slavery stopped in U.S. I know folks think of animals with the society, but they actually were big into changing the way children were treated. Many societies before us killed any abnormal infants and young children, as well. We have come a long way but really not far enough since there are societies today that still view children (and women) as pretty much possessions.

It's a violent world.

I just don't watch the news anymore.

They focus on all that is awful about humans and human nature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Don't forget that FL has the highest statics of children LOST after being placed into Foster Care, and very high rates of children being taken from their parents and put into more dangerous foster homes than the home they were removed from!
    Anonymous