I'm planning to start school in the fall for my Paralegal Certificate. However, recently read some comments from people stating they hate their job. I want to hear from paralegals, do you like your job?

MoonlitGarden

Asked by MoonlitGarden at 5:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• You basically do all the legal paperwork, deal with people with giant egos and are expected to be a workaholic like your boss. I was a legal assistant for a few years which now is basically a paralegal now days. If you like paperwork, have an attention for detail, like to work a lot and can deal with big personalities it's okay and you should go for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• My mother is a paralegal and she hates her job. She kills herself in that office every week and never gets to see my kids. I hate her job, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Lawyers can be veriy difficult to work for. There are other options for paralegals though. I would have a couple of informational interviews with paralegals and attorneys doing the type of work that you are interested in.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:30 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I went through and received my degree as a Paralegal just to find out my community doesn't recognize them. Here they are nothing more than glorified Legal Secretaries which is what I was before I spent out all that money on the degree. I then went on to get a four year Legal Admin degree and still was offered only Legal Secretary positions. There is also competition. Students who go to law school and can't cut the mustard and drop out take the Paralegal positions. I would have loved it if I could have done what Paralegals are supposed to do but got sick of spending money to go up the ladder but stayed at the same level I entered the field in so I retired.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I recieved my Paralegal degree 10 years ago and I have never used it. I applied for many jobs after i graduated and everyone required "experience". How do you get experience if no one will hire you. Now I am going abck for Business Administration.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I have a degree in Paralegal Studies that I've had for 3 years. I worked in a law firm as an assistant before my degree was complete and yes, lawyers can be VERY difficult to work for. It is also a fairly stressful job no matter what area of the law the firm handles there will always be something and attention to detail is crucial. Once I got my degree it was hard to find a full time position where I live. Most of the paralegals here don't even have a degree they just have many years of experience. I also found that the hours weren't conducive to having small children, so I switched fields to education. The hours are so much better and buying appropriate work attire is so much cheaper!
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 10:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• thanks ladies! you've saved me thousands of dollars... so now what?? I have a BBA in Computer Information Systems, graduated in 2000. I worked for about 5 years before quitting to have children. I can't find an IT job that I'm qualified for, mostly I'm either obsolete or too experienced. My marriage is ending so I'm trying to get back on my feet, any suggestions for career counselling? Where do I start?
    MoonlitGarden

Answer by MoonlitGarden at 7:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Can you take refresher courses for Computer Information?
    I know that I liked the clerical aspects of being a paralegal or a legal assistant just fine, if that part of the job appeals to you maybe you can take classes in Office Administration or whatever your college calls it.
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 9:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2010