Can you eat well on Food Stamps?

Yes, you can. Link below

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Hell no! We had to get all the help we could @ one point & the food stamps were helpfl but we always had to buy 3 times that amount. From others I had spoke with they went through the same ordeal.It's an awful place to be in life. I'm so happy we don;'t HAVE to depend on the state for food anymore~!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Yes! And very well I might add!! My family eats nothing but organic meats and organic milk. We shop at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods on occasion, but pick up most of our food at Ingles (best organic selection and best price in my rural area)

My family of 4 receives $500 a month, and if I shop well, we can buy just about any kind of food we want. Though, depending on a persons income/expenses that amount can vary greatly!! We've gotten very lucky to receive $500.

PS- I nearly never buy soda, candy, snack cakes, and the likes. IF I want my kids to have a special treat, like a cake, we make one. I think we save a TON of money not buying junk food and that is how we can afford to buy whole foods instead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Yes but commercials influence people to waste their money on convenience foods and junk food. Once hooked on that stuff it isn't easy to get off of it. Stores also place junk food on sale a lot, too. So I blame stores, advertising as well as laziness (desire not to take the time to cook a meal from scratch that is healthy). So it's not the Food Stamps that does it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• like the previous poster said, yes, you can, will, and do... If you don't eat poison- oh, sorry, convenience foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• my family does, but we find we have money left over every month! Literally we have stuff roll over every month because we cannot possibly use it all. We are very thrifty with it, and are stocking up even, and still have money left over! I really think that food stamps should be regulated more and we should get LESS than we do. I repsect that people with jobs are paying for my family to survive. We've had to be on foodstamps ever since my husband lost his job....we still haven't found another one...even if it was just a couple hours a week. I think everyone that says the country is gettin better is full of BS...we sure as hell haven't felt it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Of course you can. You have to shop smart though. And unfortunately, for some, smart doesn't work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Hell, my SIL does....they wait til the EBT card is refilled and then spend it all on Lobster, Steak, etc. because they can get the rest of their food and feed their kids with the food in my inlaws kitchen since they live with them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Of course - most families the size of mine (7 people) get more in food stamps than I spend on groceries every month!

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Apparently. Must be nice to get food people who actually work pay for. Personally I'd rather go hungry than be a leech but whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2010