good replacement for fabric softner or one out there that does not smell?

Or one out there that does not smell or make the clothes so soft they feel slimy? We are line drying now and my hubby is complaining about the stiffness of his clothes. Sunggle is out, so is Bounce and Dryall. .

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 8:14 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Downy makes an unscented product for sensitive skin. Also, try using half as much as the bottle suggests.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• OMG I love it when my cloths smell good. So many ppl ask me wht I use all the time...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Several products are fragrant free. Just read the labels.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Also, it doesn't matter what you use, line dried clothes are stiff when you first bring them in. The best way to "soften" them is to work them a bit as you fold them. I LOVE the smell of line dried clothes, but can't find clothes line poles.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Baking soda.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Plain old white vinegar, added during the rinse cycle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I use Seventh Generation Blue Eucalyptus and Lavender. The smell isn't strong at all like a lot of other softeners. It won't really help with the stiffness issue, though. When the clothes are almost dry but just barely damp, throw them in the dryer for about five minutes.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• vinegar during the rinse cycle
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 9:37 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Vinegar! It's one of the most versatile household products ever. Just add a bit of it to the rinse cycle. No, your clothes won't smell like vinegar.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The dryer is broken and there is no money to replace it at this time.
    The fragrance free softners still make the clothes feel slimy or like they have too much soap in them . I recall my grandmother using something, but she is not around to ask anymore.
    Vinegar...white or apple cider or distilled white? I use the apple cider to wash the windows and love the scent, but my husband says it is too strong a scent for clothes....
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 10:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2010