Sexual Assault

April is Sexual Assault Awareness month so I am spreading the news. Each week this month I will post another set of facts about sexual assault in this section.

#11 Rape victims may be forced through threats or physical means. In about 8 out of 10 rapes, no weapon is used other than physical force. Anyone may be a victim of rape: women, men or children, straight or gay.

#12 Statutes of limitations for all 50 states. http://www.rainn.org/public-policy/sexual-assault-issues/state-statutes-of-limitations

#13 Approximately 2/3 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim.

#14 73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.

#15 38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.

#16 28% of rapists are an intimate.

#17 7% of rapists are a relative.

So why do we let this crime be one that remains in the dark and is rarely talked about?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 9:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• And if you would like to help RAINN (Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network), just let me know. I am running a fundraiser and all profits are going to RAINN. All the information above comes from RAINN's website.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• not true. it's talked about a lot and this isn't the right forum for this. post this in your journal not in a Question and Answers forum
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• It is in my journal and numerous groups. But it NEEDS awareness because too many victims receive no justice because the system is broken because no one will fight for it to be fixed because it isn't talked about.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Mame it doesn't matter where you post it as long as the message gets out. It's great what you are doing. I believe it is fear. Some may be guilt. The victim may believe or have been told by the assailant that it is their fault or they in some way caused it. All I know is to try and educate kids as early as possible about inappropriate behavior and just be very leery about who your child spends time with. This is right for me. Growing up my mother never let me go a lot of places and I just thought she was being mean but now that I have a daughter I feel the same way she rarely goes places overnight or that I do not know about as I said this is right for me. I was the same way with my son. Also I make it very easy for my kids to talk to me about anything. I am always available for talking. My son is 19 and still tells me things that I would think he would be embarrassed about. I thank God.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Too many victims receive no justice because the victims do not follow correct protocol. They don't go to the hospital and have an SAE kit done. They don't go to the police station and make a report. Sometimes, they don't even tell anyone. I'm not blaming the victim here, I'm saying that if more victims did what is required to create a case against a rapist, more cases would result in justice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I do not agree with anon 8:28, because it also depends on the people working on your case. I had 2 officers come to my apt because of this guy who would not go away and was sitting on my porch. The cops did not take me serious and one even was smirking to the other one and said "He was just sitting there, he was not bothering you." I was like yea but he does not live here and it is my porch and I am afraid. Another time I had a similiar incident with my ex husband and this cop told me if I even thought he was coming around or was outside to call them. I felt so much better. You don't feel safe when the ones who are supposed to protect you don't take you serious.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• When something that traumatizing happens, all rational thinking goes out the window. It's easy to say step by step all the things the victims "should" do until one becomes a victim. Bringing it into the light will hopefully let victims know it's okay to talk to somebody about it. That it isn't their fault. That person that they turn to will hopefully know all the steps that Anon 9:28 listed, and point the victim in the right direction. Thank you for posting this, purpleducky.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Welcome Nicole. This is just something that hits close to home for me so I want to try and change the world I guess. No one should have to go through this yet so many do. And you know Anon was right that steps should be taken. But you are right too, once it happens to you all rational goes out the window. However, even when a victim takes all the right steps and there is even DNA, it doesn't always end pretty because all the DNA really proves is that sex occurred. This is so much a he said vs. she said crime and unfortunately it seems like the perpetrator's word means more than the victim's word so much of the time.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Yeah, everyone knows about sexual assault. If someone chooses not to report than it's on them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• All of the people being bitches about this have obviously never been sexually assaulted.

They would change their tune if it happened to them.

I was sexually assualted more than once by my high school boy friend. TO THIS DAY ONLY ONE PERSON KNOWS. My husband and I told him because I had to. I broke down crying in the middle of fooling around with him one day. He touched me in a certain way which in any other normal case would have been completely innocent and even enjoyable but it was something my high school boyfriend did to me numerous times.

Telling him was the hardest thing I've ever done. It's HUMILIATING and PAINFUL. I'm still to this day embarassed that it happened to me.

I'm a strong, independent women and I put up with it over and over and over again. I should have punched or hit him with a hot frying pan but I just took it. He had some kind of hold over me and now I would be too scared to report it.
    Anonymous