Would you still be breastfeeding if you had better support?

This is for all you mommies who tried to breastfeed and quit. Do you feel that if you had had better support, someone you could turn to to ask for help or have your questions answered, you would have continued breastfeeding? Or do you feel that it would have made no difference?

Note: This is for those who WANTED to nurse their babies and felt that had they were unable to breastfeed for various reasons. This is NOT for those who choose to FF from the beginning. You made your decision, that's fine. I want to hear from those who didn't want to FF from the beginning. I am aware that there are several breastfeeding questions out there but I have always wondered about this one and have not seen a question on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes. from day one it hurt so bad and i was in so much pain and my grandmother and mother both went out and bought forumla. i didn;t have energy to fight. they thought the baby was so hungry but the baby just needed to just feed very often. i wish i did have more support. my supply would of been higher. but i was greatful that i got to breastfeed hr a littlle for about 3months. i am a single mother and its hard to breast feed and have to go to work and i had no support. but i hope the next baby i can do it for at least 6months. i miss it. but she is healthy and happy and that is all that matters.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I am currently bfing my 3rd and 4th children. I nursed my first and second until just under a year old when I was pregnant with the next. If I had more support or more information I would CERTAINLY have continued bfing through my pregnancy. Thankfully I have learned a lot and have continued to bf my 18 month old daughter. (I don't quite fit who you are asking, but thought I would share)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:16 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• No. I had a great support system (EVERYONE in my family and my husband's family supported me and encouraged me, as did the doctors and nurses at the hospital I gave birth at), but when my daughter just continued to lose weight after 2 weeks, they also supported my decision to feed my daughter since she was literally starving and I was one of those few people that actually wasn't producing milk because my daughter was physically unable to stimulate me into production, and a pump didn't help either. All it did was hurt. I love how supportive my family is, and they're all ready to support me on this baby too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• No. I had an amazing support system. Everyone from the hospital to LLL to other lactation consultants and family support and I still couldn't make it happen. I cried when at 3 months I couldn't even pump an ounce out of both breasts. It was heartbreaking because I had convinced myself that I hadn't tried hard enough the first time so this time would be different. Some breasts are just not made to BF properly. That wouldn't stop me from trying again, even 3 months was a huge accomplishment for me and is worth something in the end. I think we're done having kids though so I won't get another chance :(
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure. from day one DD never really took to nursing. And I got so frustrated with everyone at the birthing center because instead of leaving me and DD alone and letting us just try they kept coming over and moving her and trying all of this crap. I finally had to tell everyone to just go away and let me try. But I have one inverted nippe and she never would nurse off of that side. I was pumping that side. But getting her to nurse was always so hard! She just would not latch on. Eventually I got to where I was just pumping and bottle feeding her but after about 8 weeks my milk dried up. I had met with a few lactation consulants and even with their help it would still take dd 30 min to latch on then she would eat for 5 min and we had to start over. in the end formula ended up being easier because I didn't have to worry about her latching on and pumping.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• oh YES YES YES!! we dont have LLL here sadly and the one BF consultant we did have didnt contact me until almost a month after i called. at my sons 1 month appt he was failing to gain weight and i was asked to supplement. i was BFing every 2 hrs, pumping every 3 and getting only an hour sleep at a time. after a week of this i was so exhausted i gave up. i REALLY needed a lot more support in the production of milk. i was clueless as to how to get myself to produce. i had to do IVF, so i really think my issue was hormonal. maybe i didnt have the right hormonal balance to stimulate production? i dno. i had tons of questions and noone to answer them. DS took to BFing great, but i was all dry, wasnt even engorged or anything. oh well, he is happy and healthy and i guess thats all i can ask for as a new mommy! i would def contact someone like LLL if i had access to it tho!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 2:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I was able to nurse, but I almost quit over lack of support. It's such a huge issue.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• It's amazing that around 98% of women can breastfeed yet when a topic like this comes up there are all these "rare" women that respond. Is it that they really couldn't breastfeed or is it that they are attracted to websites like cafemom?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2010