How can I get my baby to take a bottle?

Or is it too late, lol? I exclusively breastfeed my almost 11 week old baby. Yesterday I pumped a bottle so I could go out to eat without having to feed him and actually enjoy my food for a change. But he wouldn't take it, not from me and not from my husband. I would really like to be able to leave him with a babysitter for our anniversary (still a couple months away) but I can't if he won't eat from a bottle!

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 11:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First off, if you're around, he's not going to take a bottle when he knows he can get it from the source. So to get an accurate idea, you have to leave -- the house is best, not just the room. Go to the grocery store or something and leave him home with your husband and see what happens.

Secondly, if he gets hungry enough, he will eat. Or he might prefer to wait for you. If it's just a matter of a few hours for dinner and a movie or something, it's not a big deal if he chooses not to take a bottle and just wait for you to get home. That's what my daughter always did, even while I was at work all day.

If you want to go out, leave him with a sitter, leave a bottle, and if it gets too bad, the sitter can always call you if it gets to be too much to handle.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:29 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• You might need to try different types of bottles. Hold it up by your booby when he's sleeping and wanting to eat....sometimes when thier not fully awake, they will take whatever as long as it's food. I BF my girl till she was 15months. It took a couple of nights to get her off me and on a bottle. Just try every night, or dearin the day if you'd rather breast feed at night. It's going to kill you inside...the crying, and the fact that you know if you just give him booby, he'd be happy. But it will never happen if you don't try. Good luck
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 11:54 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• It is not too late, there is no magic "window" when it is best to introduce a bottle. Some babies take them easily and some don't, it is a personality thing. If he still won't take it after trying all of the tricks (when he is not hungry, when he is sleepy, different nipples etc.) you can probably work around it. My 9 month old won't take a bottle (did when she was younger but no longer does). I just arrange it so that I am never away form her for more than a couple of hours.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• We had to play around to find the bottle and nipple DD preferred, and she only took it from my dad at first, and that was at three months old.If it's only a few hours he may just wait. You can nurse right before leaving and as soon as you get home. You could also have Dad/sitter try a sippy cup; he holds the baby in a sitting position, holds the sippy with no filter in it so the milk comes freely out, tips it up for the baby to drink a little at a time. That's how we taught DD to drink from cups after she figured out how to throw her bottles and they shattered, spilling 6 ounces of breastmilk everywhere.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• In a couple of months your baby will be able to drink from a cup! Some breastfed babies never will take a bottle, even if they get hungry enough. They will shut down first and fall asleep. It's a lucky baby that never has to go throught that.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I would keep trying now, because the longer you wait the harder it will be. I used Avant bottles with my son because the nipples are shaped more like real ones. Try different nipples and keep trying to have other people feed when you're not around.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2010