My baby just started solid food. Now he poops every couple of days and it is solid. Is this normal?

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 11:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is your baby? Are you breastfeeding or formula? Make sure you don't stop the amount of bottle or breast you give your baby, it might be that he/she is not getting enough fluids. It is okay to give the baby a little bit of water as well, warm water, maybe 2 ounches at first and then see how he/she takes it. I think that is probably the only reason, the baby is constipated and he is not geting enough fluids. If that persists even after you give fluids, i would see a doctor. I was the crazy mom that took my kids to the doctor for every little thing, but I always said better be safe and appear crazy to the doctor then find something serious too late. Just give your baby plenty of fluids and monitor your baby. God bless.
    EricandAndreMom

Answer by EricandAndreMom at 12:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Sounds normal. As long as his poops are not hard or dry and he feels fine then he is not constipated. Make sure you always offer breast or bottle before solids until 12 months old. If he is showing signs of being constipated back off a bit on the solids.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2010